Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Long brake pedal ....sometimes!

Jason Plato

I have a big brake kit fitted i.e AP front and rear and on occasions the pedal has more travel than others but the 'bite ' is still there . Anyone else with this setup experience the same or are my brakes f****d ?

It is a little concerning when heading over Avon rise on the limiter !.

Cheers

Dave

Have you tried bleeding the brakes? Could have some air in the system.

When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? If it's more than 2 years I'd advise you to get it done. Brake fluid is hydrotropic (absorbs water), and it can get hot enough to boil out, which created steam locks in the brake pipes, which can have what has been described as "an interesting effect on the braking characteristics" (and create breaking characteristics).

Edited by - Dave H on 11 Jul 2000 13:03:44

I would agree with the points made by Dave H. I have AP 4 Pots on the front of my car and experienced some very disquieting brake problems at a recent days thrashing at an airfield.... Great pedal and brakes during each session but then after a short rest, the pedal went through the floor until it had been pumped a few times...I only forgot about pumping once! At the end of a runway at 110mph! I admit that I had overlooked the regular fluid change and presume that I was getting 'steam locks' or boiling...

New fluid in system and a thorough bleed and now all now well...

Just another thought, I presume that your calipers have two bleed nipples on each...the outer one is not visible with the road wheel in place. You should bleed the furthest from the 'feed in' first and then move on to the inner nipple. Don't get too excited Anna !

Andrew Russell