Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Do I need an O/P switch with a Stack?

k80rum

Hi all,

I was just about to order my Pace-style L oil filter housing from Think along with some parts to do the remote oil pressure sensor stuff, when I had a doubt *confused*

I'm goin to re-use my Caterham oil pressure SENSOR to feed info to the Stack and was going to buy an oil pressure SWITCH to illuminate a light on the dashboard..

But I don't need to do this do I ? - my Stack is a non-Caterham one so it has the external alarm light. If I hook up a nice bright light to that and set the Stack O/P warning to about 30PSI, it'd achieve the same thing and save buying something un-necessarily wouldn't it?

Can anyone help clear up my confusion?

Darren

PS - A big thanks to whoever at CC used an entire tube of Sikaflex to stick on my old dash 😔 *tongue*

Darren

You are right you do not need a pressure switch and can activate a warning light, in effect a repeat of the red light on the dash, there is a max wattage rating though so check the stack manual and lastly this light will act as a warnng light for all the modes on the stack system so if you have them set it will also come on for low battery, hi temps etc

As Mav said I'm not sure the Caterham OP sender will give the Stack the correct readings, you may need a VDO unit (around £35) or one from Stack themselves (£50 plus VAT)

Mark

Cheers guys *thumbup*

IIRC wattage is about 22w maximum for external light. I'll definately double-check though as I remember reading in the blurb that a higher wattage would blow the driver circuit. Eek.

Thanks both for the heads-up on the sensor. I didn't realise that but will investigate and if necessary, ditch the OEM one for a stack item or similar.

I'll let you know re the stack bezel nuts by tomorrow Mark - thanks for that.

All the best,

Darren

I would use a solid state version if you are going this route. But why not use the external drive from your stack instead. *thumbup*

You can use a higher wattage bulb but you must run it via a relay as the stack driver is limited in output.

R500 260 BHP Mango Madness

Oopsy.. That should have read 2 Watts *wink*

Thanks for the advice Peter. I'll try the 2W and see how bright it looks, then use your suggestion if it's not bright enough.

On a related note - how about using one of those ultra-bright LEDs instead of a bulb? There seems to be a lot of progress with LED lighting, particularly in relation to brake lights, etc. The power consumption has to be quite a lot less for a nice bright light.....?

VDO make several different pressure senders. The one I used has two connections, one for the gauge (or dash) and the other switches to ground at about 7PSI. I used this to switch on the bright LED which is fitted as standard to my SLR (I think it is normally used as a shift light). The idea is to give me an unmissable warning if the dry sump pump belt fails. So far so good!

Cheers

NigelJ

Edited by - NigelJ on 22 Mar 2007 13:07:16