Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

duratec 275 bhp

duh

Have just done the 1100 mile round trip in 34 hours to get the car on the rolling road.Dont want to upset anyone but went down with a specific problem ie under snap throttle bad missfire and still have the same problem,and as you can imagine i am rather disappointed.During the mapping it was suggested that there was a cam ovarlap problem, but the engine builder says that this is minimal.As you may appreciate with the trip costing nearly £1000 and a couple of guys who were not honest with me in their promises of what they achieved i am rather disillusioned

Scholar built the engine,and to be fair continue one way or another assist in sorting the problem.Although i paid the cost of taking engine in and out to be sent back to their dyno and for the rolling road etc etc. I hired a csr for various race meetings last year and have driven various others,i race with 2 305 bhp duratecs,all these rev instantly.You tell me if it is acceptable under snap throttle for the engine to stall or missfire all the way up to 4000rpm, and would you want it sorted or would you just drive round it? Surely it is not unreasonable to expect your purchase to be fit for purpose.

Standard fuel with an additive i believe.Dont have enough knowledge for next question,but i think it is 1080 and dropping with a south west wind.These 300 plus engines have been built by Hwr Motorsport in Newcastle,an honest couple of guys.

Firstly , I am very sorry that this has not been resolved for you. ☹️ ☹️ Bit of an 🙆🏻 to say the least.

I cannot remember if you told us what ECU you are running? Have you thought, maybe with a little help from scolar, that you could try plugging a new ecu( different type) into the car. I know you would need a different loom but , might be worth a try to see if it is a ECU problem. failing that. I had a small problem with snap throttle on my VX with MBE, the rolling road session made it 100% better, but had not eliminated the problem. I sent gave my map to SBD. if theroad is the one I think, then if you contact them I am sure they will do their best to find a solution for you. (I went to SBD 'cause I bumped into him at a sprint, he did the work in the paddock).

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

The power output should not really matter to snap throttle response. My 307 bhp duratec had instant response at all revs and ran on normal super unleaded. Who did the mapping? Did you or they actually check the cam timing in case it had slipped or something daft? It only takes 15 minutes after all. Snap response can be tricky to get right on a rolling road, but surely not as bad as it seems you have it, and it's easy to tweak the MBE settings a bit to and fro to sort it out - making sure to save an original map.

Oh dear - all sounds very unsatisfying for you! *confused*

Mbe ecu.To be fair to scholar they have talked about another ecu and are also talking about changing the cams.Unfortunately it has been some 8 months now since i received the engine and i have spent some £3500 of my money endeavouring to have it sorted.I am trying to be as diplomatic with regards my rolling road experience as many of you know them and use them,however disappointing is an understatement.I visited with a specific problem,they spent 4 hours mapping and dismissed my requests of trying snap throttle during this. After the four hours they stated that a cam overlap was causing a problem.Further work commenced and at the end of it there was great excitement and reving of engine and exclamations of how everything was sorted.Iasked if i could try it and yes you have guessed it under snap throttle it died.Poor show,and from then on it just got no better.They tried all sorts but really it made little difference and by this stage it was late and another customer was waiting and they wanted rid of me.They still tried to tell me how much better it would be as i handed over money.After a ten hour drive back home i pass Knockhill on the way ,so i drove it round paddock 2,and surprise surprise exactly as before.

As Danny says the actual power output of the engine really shouldn't matter, it does sound like a installation/ECU related problem.

Sorry you haven't had much luck getting it resolved, have you tried a different ECU (same type)? if so then maybe it's time to go for a completly different ECU altogether.

DannyLT's car and mine both run an Emerald ECU and don't seem to have any problems.

fuel pressure reg or maybe fuel pump not being up to the task ?

I guess the next course of action is to get HWR to look at it.

I know how depressing this hassel can be - the only suggestion I can make is to leave the car in the hands of trusted experts to resolve the problem. HWR are probably your first choice *smile*

Dave

here is C7 TOP

Taffia Area Rep *thumbup*

It might be worth trying the chaps at Minister Racing engines. I was really impressed with their work (they built me and fitted a new R500 engine in December). Their knowledge and attention to detail is superb - I did however have to part with several pints of blood!!!!

Stuart built my engine, but Graham runs the place.

Good luck....Terry.

Edited by - TerryH on 23 Mar 2007 17:47:53

Edited by - TerryH on 23 Mar 2007 17:48:27

Edited by - TerryH on 23 Mar 2007 17:49:06