Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Maths

Bertfatal

I don't think nyou can arrive at a solution to this problem very easily at all. I'm not sure what age your son is but I would suspect that the best approach is to plug a few numbers inot the calculator until you can sketch the graph of the function and use the graph to approximate the result desired. I''ve tried a few other routes to solve the equation and failed having been at it some time now.

I agree about drawing a graph to get an initial estimate and then you can use Newton-Raphson to get a more accurate value for the real root. Re-arrange the equation to xxx + xx - 30 = 0 = f(x). Then f'(x) = 3xx + 2x and then you can use

x(n+1) = x(n) - f(x(n))/f'(x(n))

to get successively closer approximations. Once you've got the real root, you can factorise to a linear and quadratic form and then calculate the complex roots.

Or you can just use the Excel Goal seek function (which probably does something similar to the above anyway!).

A far more taxing problem as an aside: does anybody know how to search for pdf files containg certain text in XP??

Regards,

Adam

Thanks MTH. I've tried both the methods in the article, but with no success I'm afraid. I'm wondering if I have to wait for Windows to complete the indexing process before it will work - that would make sense to me. In the meantime, I'm trying out some freeware called File Hand Search - we'll see if that works.

Apologies to all for going off at a tangent from the original post.

Adam