Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yawn yawn boring tyres again

John E

I phoned the german avon-service once more and, yes, he has the CR500 on stock. They´re available in 13" and 15", Dieter Knüttel, the boss of Avon-Germany has some sets to spare which have been slightly used, much cheaper. Front tire 13" would be (new) 290 DM, which is something like 88 pounds each.

Call the Knuettel-crew in germany on 0049-6253-85556.

There is about an inch difference in diameter between the 185/60x13 and the 185/70x13 A021R tyre. The info I have is that the 70 profile is very slightly wider at 7.6inches as against 7.3 inches for the 60 profile. How that all translates in feel and grip, quite frankly, I haven't a clue. Probably in a car as light as a Seven the increase in sidewall 'give' will be minimal and if you went for the 70 profile you would have the benefit of 1/2inch extra ground clearance. I'm stuck with 60 profile because I only need to replace two tyres at this time....

Andrew.

I imagine Caterham recommend whatever comes into their head at the time. They recommended 185 60 to me.

I had never considered 70 profile until I read about it recently here, so I may give it a go.

Can anyone help? I've just ordered a set of 13' wheels from the wonderful group order here. 6' front and 7' rear. I have 205/45 16' at the moment and would like to keep to say 185/70 for the extra ground clearance. What would be the best size to fit on the 7' rear? I was thinking of something wider as I have about 200 bhp to put down.

Many thanks.

If I go for 205/60 13' on the back does that mean I should keep with 185/60 on the front (what is normal ground clearance anyway mine seem to be about 2 3/4' unloaded and is fine). I guess it's not a good idea to have 70's on the front and 60's on the rear or is this OK. Sorry to seem a bit dim but this tyre stuff is all a bit new to me.

Thanks for the help

it's quite common to put wider tyres on the back than the front, but I wouldn't put higher profiles on the front than the back ( I have done it the other way round and it works OK). You want the front of the car to be lower than the back rather than the other way round.

SORRY but I got the answer that I needed. You can all wake up now and take notice of the excellent replies. Some good stuff on here. Thanks to all of my contributors!!!!!

Andrew, will pick up the tyres on Thursday and if I sort this bloody exhaust thing out then a thrash thro'th dales is called for.