Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yawn yawn boring tyres again

John E

I know its been done before but what is the best all round road tyre for a simple cross flow with live(very)axle. All I want is to stay on the road whilst using some (maybe lots) of the cars potential. No track days. Yoko thingys seem to be favorites but without sending me to sleep and completely bankrupting me and as I have no desire to pay for Mr Yokos expensive holidays I'm looking for a compromise. Ideas anyone?

John, I've tried a few tyres on my Live axle Crossflow, and, to be honest, the Yokos are good. I use it (almost) exclusively on the road, and have found that the A008's & A032's are excellent in the dry, the A021's (185/60's) were very good, and gave some grip in the wet. Whil i favour the 60 profile, I have yet to try the 185/70's A021's which are priced at about £40 and have been mentioned elsewhere. if they are up to Mr Yokos previous standards then they should give excellent grip per £.

As to exploiting the limits of the car - try a Brooklands day (or half day). For a small outlay you will find the limits, and the feel close to those limits, all at low speed, with space to get completely wrong with no danger of damage.

Then get new tyres.

I've got the A021Rs on my live axle, vauxhall (185/70 as I dont want another new sump!) and can certainly recommend them for their grip in both the dry and wet. However, with only 100bhp to play with they've taken a lot of my low speed fun away and the car now feels under powered, sending me off searching for more horses with no cash to get them at the moment!! Saying that though, the extra cornering speed is a major blast also.

As said before, George Polley (in Heathfield) is the man for Yokos.

I've got the A021Rs on my live axle, vauxhall (185/70 as I dont want another new sump!) and can certainly recommend them for their grip in both the dry and wet. However, with only 100bhp to play with they've taken a lot of my low speed fun away and the car now feels under powered, sending me off searching for more horses with no cash to get them at the moment!! Saying that though, the extra cornering speed is a major blast also.

As said before, George Polley (in Heathfield) is the man for Yokos.

John wrote "Yoko thingys seem to be favorites but without sending me to sleep and completely bankrupting me and as I have no desire to pay for Mr Yokos expensive holidays I'm looking for a compromise."

Are Yokes really more expensive than other premium brand (e.g. Michelin) tyres? Not by a significant amount I'd hazard.

Mike

Does anyone have experience of replacing the R500 Avons yet ? I don't need to replace them but thought if they were long-lead time items which were expensive, I might start the investigation into who to buy from now.

Thanks for any help !

Robin.

• Leadership Team

John, the Yoko thingys in 32R guise start with substantially less tread then 21Rs, and dont have as good wet weather pattern, making the 21Rs an ideal all weather tyre (thats what you want isn't it?).

But, the 21Rs still only achieve 3000 - 7000 miles. In 70 series at £40 thats fine, but the 60 series are nearer £80 each which can be expensive, especially if you consider you may get 15000+ miles out of a set of Michelins.

I'd go for the 21Rs anyway.

Stu.

John,

I would certainly recommend Yoko's 021R's and as for price, check out Easytrack as I was recently quoted £61.00 each, inc VAT and delivery for 185/60 x 13.(tel:01520.722536)

Grip might not be the ultimate but for general Seven use, I still reckon they are ideal. Good grip wet or dry, progressive and fair wear. They have coped admirably with the demands of keeping my 210 bhp 2.0 16v Vauxhall on the 'narrow' bits....I was going to say, 'straight and narrow' but that wouldn't be Seven motoring would it? Sorry I couldn't make it up to Croft last weekend, did the weather stay reasonable?

You can wake up now, Anna...

Andrew.