Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Class D or Graduate racers

Ben_S

My basic question is this, can a standard 1600 Vauxhall car (ie non-scholarship) be converted for use in one or either of these series and how do you go about getting a copy of the regs?

I recently saw a round of the 750MC championship at Cadwell, where only one Class D car was racing (beating a few from Class C though!). Any known reason for these lack of numbers? Or are they just all racing in the graduate series.

A standard 1600 should be fine for either of the series - the engine's got to be stock, 5-speed box, etc. You'd have to convert it to double-wish bone front suspension (if it hasn't got it already) and get all the safety gubbins - FIA rollbar, fire extingusher, etc. If that's too much for you, there are a few GRaduates cars for sale at the moment, varying from pristine to "well-raced".

There should be regs on the Grads website at www.graduates.org.uk or if you mail me I can fax you some.

THe reason for the lack of cars in 750MC is that they're no longer eligible after this year, and don't have their own class this year (i.e. they're racing directly against 130bhp 1.4 k series). GRaduates unfortunately had to turn a few people away this year such were the numbers - hopefully next year we should be able to accept more.

Thanks for that Graeme. Any reason why the 750MC got rid of the 'D' boys?

Just out of interest, I've read the regs on the web and I guessed most of the modifications, how much is the front suspension conversion? It sounds as if the fuel tank needs to be much better protected also, true?

the main reasons that Class D was abandoned were numbers and the fact they shared a grid with the 1.4 K's. When Caterham ditched the K's there was a glut of race cars which came 750 racing, people saw the races and have joined in since, leading to full grids. There was always a few D's that would turn up, but the second half of last year saw only two! Although the racing, from the drivers point of view, was always close and exciting, being near to the back, was rarely mentioned in commentry or write ups - the curse of the slower classes in ANY race series.

It's all quite sad, as the Class was an excellent way to start Caterham racing, learning the need to carry as much corner speed as possible.

The fuel tank protection kit is a simple instalation, don't know costs but just over £100 seems to ring a bell.

THe fuel tank protection isn't compulsory, but is recommended. Not only could it save your arse, it's saved drivers needing new a chassis. I think its a bit more than 100 pound, nearer 200 (it comes in about 5 sections). A similiar honeycomb panel under the driver is worthwhile as well.

Not sure about the cost of the front suspension - Derek Moore at Classic Carriage Company could give you some idea : 01455-841616.

I'm suprised Mark didn't mention his race-ready ex-Scholarship car is for sale at a bargain price (unless it isn't anymore...).

ohh he still is, but halfway through a set of nights and my brain turns to jelly.

By the way, I've a Championship winning,video starring, race ready car for sale. Check out the For sale section here or in this months Low Flying. The car comes with a free video.... now there's a bargin!

Thanks for reminding me Graeme smile.gif