Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BEC on Pistoheads

Tony Wright

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the Fireblade of all of them I guess, has almost every option possible, the GranTurismo car (even if the physics of the car were outside what the game engine could deliver), fantastically and adictively quick with plenty of licence losing potential on the public highway but of course the track is it's natural habitat.

Did'nt realise Meaden's car was the last one, anyone know which issues it's build was featured in, would be interesting to read up on some time.

My Fireblade is'nt the first car to have scared the sh*t out of me but it might just be the last to do so as I can't ever see myself owning a car quicker or dynamically better than it.

Ashley Webster.

Accellerating towards the horizon at an ever increasing rate of knots.....

Fantastic Mr A, I have the two EVO tests with the Whiting prototype in, the first pitches it against the Strathcarron and Elise and the second is the Trackday Car of the Year 2001 which it wins.

Ashley Webster.

Having looked long and hard for a BEC I saw many and saw what you got for your money. I would say no chance *eek*

A standard Fireblade can be had for around the £14k mark, can't see extra £7k of value in this.

Alicat

Not sure how it's number 25 of 25, when my order was placed 6 months after this one was registered for the road! - and I think there was another 1 or 2 after my chassis. Total number of official blades must have been around 26-29, anyone know exactly how many?

Edited by - Lee on 19 Mar 2007 13:59:55

I have a tendency to agree with Alicat as it looks as though your having to pay for the History. This would make sense if you wanted to add it to your collectors collection.

All the good Blade engined cars seem to go for around the 14/15 grand region, now if he were to take offers *wink*

I was told there were 25 offical JW cars plus the prototype and the Magnificent 7 book seems to suggest the same (although quite few people on here have questioned the validity of the books information), quite a few of them are people who post on here, so perhaps we can have a head count. My car is Number 23.

Ashley Webster.

I have seen this car up close and can honestly say it is simply superb. The finest prepared Caterham I have seen to date and certainly not slow around the track. Chatting with the current owner it's clear this car is pampered as he was somewhat of a perfectionist.

Compared to the most recent Blade on here, which if I recall correctly, was at £14k, didn't that have drum brakes on the rear, no carbon and nowhere near the spec? The steering wheel on this costs £650 alone!!!! *eek* and comes with two sets of Barnby's 😳

We could chat all day about it's worth but as someone who has seen the car in the flesh I reckon the first serious punter to view will buy.

(An no I'm not on commission!!!!! 😬)

Something is always worth what someone else is prepared to pay.

I like the spec of my one better than this one, but you can't knock it's provenance. It's 'the' one to have for sure.

I think the price of good Blades and Blackbirds will become pretty solid as years go by.

Lets face it, there were very few of them and so are an interesting development of the marque, dynamically they are brilliant fun to drive, are cheap as chips to run on account of being light on everything and spares for the engines will always be easy to get as the bikes were so popular (complete engines now less than £800 on the bay).

I just like the fact that they are still a proper Caterham but are 'different' from all the others

Down my way we even seem to have our own club *smile*

Steve

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.

Good point about the numbering - James told me there were 25 but this can't be the last one as seeing it on the EVO stand at the Autosport show while mine was on order is what prompted the last minute addition to my options list of having all the interior panels black powder coated *thumbup*

I have no idea what number mine is - I thought around 21 🤔

FireBlade pilot and Regalia Manager

With all this talk of prices i'm kind of tempted to put mine up for grabs but then again i'm not. I'd love an S2 Type25 Elise but the Blade is quicker and cheaper to run, insurance and servicing on an Elise could and would be so much more. Guess I better go drive one. Having now had 2 Sevens now my own personal view is that I could have just as much fun in a 1400 Supersport as a BEC. So even if I left the fold again I'd be back at some stage in another Seven, it's just a matter of storage space and not having the kitchen decorated 😬.

Sorry just thinking out loud....

Anyone know someone with an S2 preferably as above who wants to do some extreme motoring ? If not £14k,ish would probably suffice... any takers ? No pics to hand but there's one here http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/ajwebster/27.html

Ashley Webster.

Edited by - The_ASH on 21 Mar 2007 10:45:57

I didn't know Nick had put it up for sale. EvoDunc owned it for a while - he works for Evo (namew gives it away!) and bought it off Meaden and then IIRC sold it to Nick. The car's a beauty - had I not bought my R500 I'd have snapped it up.

Yes, it is priced on the basis of its history but it is also a well sorted and swift car and when I last shared the track with it last year - it was still immaculate (and fast)

Edited to add, you cheeky bugger Dunc - hadn't spotted that you'd posted on the thread...have I given away a little too much *tongue*

Edited by - Mark Piper on 20 Mar 2007 15:20:35