Click here if you are having website access problems ×

toe in?

Tight fart

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! eek.gif 16mm???? Are you sure? eek.gif

I would recommend a maximum of 5mm either way, but find parallel to be excellent on my Striker... It originally had about 3mm toe out when I got it and was particularly twitchy but still fun. I tried it at 2 & 1mm but found parallel to be just nice.

Coose

Can someone explain what the numbers mean please.

Does 1 degree mean each wheel is 1 degree from parallel or (I suspect) that the difference between the two wheels is 1 degree, ie each wheel is 1/2 degree from parallel. Thats the easy bit.

So what does 5mm mean (or even 32mm!!). Is this 5mm difference in track between the inside faces of the front of the wheel and the back of the wheel? If so then is it measured at the wheel rim or the tyre? And if 5mm is equivalent to say 1 deg then if you change to 14 inch rims then wont 5mm be less degrees?

Was the date relevant to this posting? Difference in track measured at "bulgiest" part of tyre sidewall should be approx 2mm less in front of axle line than behind. If you are on a reasonably flat surface you can measure this difference surprisingly accurately with a straight bit of timber which is longer than the track and a carpenter's set square. It is only the difference between the track measurements you are concerned about, not the absolute figures, so you don't need tape measures and taught strings etc. This rustic approach won't work if you have outrageous amounts of -ve camber.

no the date was not relavant.

the car was stripped and painted by a caterham 'expert', the only change was to cycle wings and a quick rack. When i got the car back it drove like a pig, on checking the toe in it was 16mm each side (measured with string)

it also looks lopsided at the rear (higher offside), the rear dampers are years old so I think new ajustable platforms & springs and then corner weight should get it back to the norm.