Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Coolant Leak where is this coming from??PICS

StEVEN

here click on the pics to enlarge...

posted on behalf of Paul Abrahams..this is Pauls 1.8 VVC Can we have some ideas please on where you guys think the coolant leak (shown in pink) is coming from?... is it from the pipe above or higher up between the block and the head *confused* *eek*..has anyone had a similar leak 🤔

Cheers *wink* *thumbup* *wavey*

Saw it *eek* wanted it 😬 was growing old *mad* got it! *thumbup* *smokin* here

C7 XSL and kill bill yellow 😶‍🌫️

I've had this kind of problem too. I tried a new gasket, but with no luck.

In the end (this was a late night-special to get the engine running before a 250-mile trip to Emerald the next day) I loosened the bolts slightly and massaged in some instant-gasket goo into the crack (it was only leaking from the RHS). Worked a treat.

Can't remember if I've had to remove the rail since then (two years ago now) - I suspect the mating faces aren't perfectly flat on mine.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

If you are stuck for a gasket over the weekend - I've usually got half a dozen in the "spares department" and we are not too many miles apart.

I'm here all day, though I might out of hearing range of the phone (01444 892127 or 07860 360 635).

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

There is another problerm that commonly afflicts the water rail, and that is one of alignment. Wheh you repalce the gasket, bolt the rear flange on first and see if the fron of the rail is aligned properly with the side surface of the head, often these are p to 8mm away from the side of the head and when bolted up the bending moment causes the rear of the flange to leak. If you have this situation then use a spacer between the rail and the side of head so that is is not under any tension.

Oily

I've had every possible leak on mine. In addition to too long a bolt, pinhole in the weld and alignment, the mating face can be distorted and needs treatment with a file. Finally the locating bolt half way along the (earlier design) coolant rail fell out, allowing it to flex at the mating face and leak. Even looks home made. Horrid nasty bit of engineering.

Surely, it is not the gasket. The pictures clearly show pink around the weld between the pipe and the flange - coolant would not get there if the gasket was leaking. I would check for pinholes or cracks in the weld.