Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX 16v Oil leak cause discovered!

Mim

Having replaced the main seal and resealed the main cap bearing (with the correct GM sealant)twice I have now finally discovered the cause of my persistant oil seepage from the join between the sump and bellhousing.I have what appears to be a hairline horizontal crack 5 cm length on the rear face ofthe block just above the crank.No idea how it came about - any history of this with VX's?

So it looks like a new block? Any ideas where to start looking.

The engine is circa 93. I have also posted an entry on Wanted

This is a known failing on the VX block. There are 2 oil drains from the head which emerge just above the rear main on the inside. A crack can form between these holes which will eventually come right through the block and can then spread right round the bearing. The cracks can't (or shouldn't) be repaired as they are in a stressed area. I've just had my block crack tested to check this. Is your block standard bore, as you'll be lucky to find a s/h block with a healthy bore. New blocks are available but cost £650ish. I might be able to help you with a block - call me on 07867 821645 if you want to discuss.

Nick