Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

5spd v. 6spd in an SS

prangerman

What differences in the driving experience are there between a 1.6SS with a 5 spd and one with a 6 spd? (I am thinking of going for a fresher SS but would have to "trade down" to a 5 spd from my current 6 spd.)

Peter

In Memoriam DMG

Edited by - prangerman on 16 Mar 2007 14:45:18

Common consensus seems to be that the 6 speed is a 'very nice to have' with a K - especially a SS.

I've never driven a 5-speed, but I know the change is so sweet with my 6 speed, and the ratios spot on for my 1.8SS that I would always try to go for another 6 speed should I change cars in the future.

Only down side is the high revs on the motorway if going long distances - easily cured with an iPod though.

C7 GTE

This is all subjective but ....

Well we have 2 x 7s both 1.6K SS and both producing about 150 hp. One has the 6 speed box and the other has the 5 speed type 9 box.

The six speeder keeps the engine right on the boil because the top 5 ratios are all stacked close together. The first gear is quite tall (over 50mph possible in bottom) then the rest are all stacked. It's pretty busy though in the cruise and quite tiring if forced to drive on motorways for any length of time. The speedo is miles out but I think from memory it's around 4500 at 70 mph on 13" wheels with 185/60 profile tyres.

The 5 speeder has a pretty short first gear that I think is too low to be of much use. 2nd 3rd and 4th are the handiest making the car pretty much a 3 speeder if you see what I mean. The engine is much more relaxed in the cruise ie 5th.

Performance wise it's not quite as straight forward as you might think. Our 5 speed is actually the quicker of the 2 cars but it's pretty much stripped down and has no windscreen which makes a big difference when accelerating around 100+. There is not much in it though. The 5 speed seems to have an edge when the straights ask for another gear on the 6-speed near the end of the straight, but the 5-seed doesn't need to change up.

For preference I like the 6-speed best of the two because it is really slick to use and makes the car sound the biz at the same time. But as far as performance goes I think there's actually not much to choose between them. I drove our 5-speed back from Caterham this evening where it had been having TLC on it's front suspension after an ARMCO kiss at Croix last week. I thought the ratios made for very relaxed driving in normal traffic.

Edited to add that if Winky is reading this I got a very satisfying blast of flame out of the exhaust on overrun coming down the Caterham by-pass - thought you ought to know that. *smokin*

C7 CDW

Edited by - David W on 16 Mar 2007 20:03:07

David W

Thanks - just the sort of comparison I was after. Maybe a "downgrade" to 5 spd might not be as bad I was thinking it might be.

From memory what revs is the 5 spd pulling at 70mph? (4,500rpm at 70mph in 6th sounds right from my SS on 13 inch wheels. Motorway driving is pretty tiring and the noise seems greater too!)

Peter

In Memoriam DMG

Edited by - prangerman on 16 Mar 2007 22:59:35

Peter,

I suppose it depends what you want out of the car.

typically people chose the 5 speeders for the road and 6 for the track. Std option was 3.92 diff with the 5 and 3.62 with the 6 speeder...

That said we have a 6 speed 3.62 in our SV and use it as more on the road than the track...

Thanks Mav.

Mr Locust - my original post may not have been clear. I already have a 1.6 SS with 6 spd, but I am considering a newer, fresher, lower mileage 1.6 SS with a 5 spd. I am also fighting the temptation that is an R300! *wink*

Peter

In Memoriam DMG

Prangerman - I recently changed my 5-speed box for a 6-speed on my 2004 1.6ss. In addition I changed the diff to a 3.62 as I run on 15" R300 wheels on CR500's. This setup has given me the drivetrain of an R300, and 5 mins flipping the dip-switches on the back of the speedo got that calibrated to exactly the right settings, so no probs there.

I find the 6-speed so much more fun with my (currently) std engine. I changed from the 5-speed as I found it impossible to keep the engine on the boil, and the 1st gear was just damn awful, way too short. I now have a car that feels better balanced and is easier to drive on the limit - with the diff change I also keep motorway revs fairly sensible too.

Speaking to Dave Andrews, apparently the cams on the newer EU3 engines (like mine) are not as hot as the EU2, with is why I think I struggled with my 5-speed more than some others with older 1.6ss and 5-speeds. All I can tell you that, with a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch, I spent the besy part of £3k on the upgrade at CC, and I think it was money well spent. Only other route to go would be stick with a 5-speed box, but uprate the engine for more tourque and mid-range power if using on the road.... IMHO

Rich

1.6 SS 6-speed with terminal upgradeitis - widetrack, uprated brakes, R500 exhaust, adjustable platforms, 3.62 diff, lightened flywheel, AP clutch - DVA Power next!!!! here

IMHO... I'd say 6spd to 5spd was an unusual "upgrade" for a K. I think you'd be disappointed if you drive on track, and regret it. Depends on what you use it for, but I find a set of earplugs/general avoidance of motorways resolves any small issues I have with "touring".

If you are even considering an R300, or you aim is to move towards R300 spec, I'd say you really don't want a 5spd. Not many 5 speed Superlights around (if any!)

In short, go for the R300 😬

What is the "fresher" 1.6K giving you? Less mileage (doubt that matters, unless your existing car is very high mileage), nicer paintjob/general cosmetics (go to TSK and get your OWN done).

[with apologies to all those very happy 5speeders!]

AB

I had a 1.6K SS with an SPC modified semi helical 5 speed box.

Got over 50 out of first quite happily, and other gears seemed stacked nicely, with an easier cruising ratio in 5th.

Now with a VHPD engine up front, it flies nicely *tongue*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

I drove both types when I bought my kit having thought I didn't need the 6spd having enjoyed a 5spd in a westie behind a xflow - but after driving the 6spd first, within yards of setting off in the 5spd I knew I was spending more money . . .

Somehow I ended up with a 6spd and a 3.92 diff - and 6/7 yrs later and lots of motorway miles charging off into Southern France, Germany and Italy to get to the Alps, I'm not changing it. 😬

A seven is a daft car to enjoy - sensible things like comfortable cruising, mpg etc are for your everyday tin-top choice.

Bri

I have had a 1.6ss with a 5 speed and felt that the gearing was wrong. I used the 7 as an every day car but if i had not sold it I would have changed the ratios. I how have a 1.8 ss with 6 speed with a 3.92 diff and I like this a lot. I do not to many M-way miles though. the whole experance is better. I also have had the 6 speeder with a 3.62 dif and this is fine also.

David