Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC Speedo Drive Problem

Tom White

Can anybody help me with the following problem:

I have a two year old VVC (6 speed gearbox), which likes to eat the short drive cable/coupling which connects the gbox drive output to the right angle coupling.

This problem first occured at about 6000 miles. I checked the main speedo cable for turning resitance connected and disconnected from the speedo. Although there is some resistance it did not apear to be exessive. I replaced the the coupling piece which ran for approx. 120 miles.

When the speedo is working it reads a steady speed ie. no wild movements of the needle. The only other observation is that the fault has occured when starting from cold and reversing out of the garage.

Is this a typical seven problem ?

I have noticed that new sevens have a digital milage display. Is this a non speedo cable system?

Speedo drives on 6spds are notorious for going. I had 3 in 3 years before switching to a Stack system (didn't swap for that reason mind).

I'm sure I read long ago that someone had sourced a drive unit of better quality from another car, but could well be dreaming - search the site for answers...

Not sure on the digital odo' ones but I thought they still used the cable drive system.

Thanks for the answers, I will look into getting a Stack unit in the long term.

I think I may have made some progress with the problem. I found that the cable is in fact too long for the cable carrier. When both the Speedo end and the right angle drive end are fully screwed home it requires a considerable amount of torque to turn the cable in the forward direction and near impossible in reverse direction.

Adding spacers (nylon washers) at both ends allows the cable to "float" one or two mm's instead of being pressed from both ends. This makes a considerable difference to the amount of torque required to turn the cable in either direction.

Time will tell if I am correct on this one, but thanks once again for your answers.

Tom

You have to get through a lot of angle drives to justify the Stack route smile.gif

But they are great instruments, and while you're at the justification stage you may as well go for the full dash. I have a list of justifications if you want them...