Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine braking and exaust note change

Wilkinsonp

Following a blat the other day I've noticed that the exaust note has changed (its sounds blowish)and much quiter than usual also there seems to be much less engine braking when I change down (I'm having to use the brakes alot more now) it still seems to accelarate ok but feels much smoother than before and less growly

any Idea's why or what ?

Pete

Haven't got any firm solutions, but was wondering if the cam timing could have slipped? The performance would drop off and it can make small changes to the engine note. I did notice a difference when I changed the cam belt in the wifes car and found it to be two teeth out.

BC

Just been out for another blat today and I think its the exaust baffels or the cat no cat smell today at all and theres always been a notable smell before...also a notable internal rattle some where in the system off to Caterham tomorrow to have it looked at I think.

thanks all

Pete

Andy,

Found the problem the silencer is leaking badly when hot all round the weld where the tail pipe fits in to the silencer hence blowie sound and less back pressure and rattle ...strange thing though no black smutt round the broken weld like I would expect..maybe thats due to the cat keeping things clean...

It's a 97 so could do as you suggest and go for the no cat option at some point, does any one know if you lose much power by having a cat I know the standard exuast is a bit restrictive in any event ...and the external 4-2-1 system is better especially if I intend doing some tuning at some point,

I know from experiance (company cars) the vauxhall sri cav lost much of its guttsy feel when they started turning them out with cats fitted as standard and even when it was given the 16v treatment.

do you know the price of a 4-2-1 compared to standard 4-1 system

cheers

Pete