Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SL 1.6 or 1.8?

AndyG

I am a brand new member, all of 2 hours!

I do not yet own a caterham . Looking at the Superlights, performance wise how much difference is there between the 1.8 and the 1.6?

How do they stand with noise limited track days?

Welcome.

1.6 vs 1.8

Not a big difference in performance IMHO. 1.6 more at the top end whilst 1.8 has a bit more torque. However, if you think you might be upgrading in the future then go for the 1.8.

If upgrades aren't expected and you're buying used, then I would concentrate on finding the right car in the right condition rather then dismiss a good spec 1.6 whilst waiting for a 1.8 to turn up.

Steve.

West Sussex AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

• Support Team

There won't be many 1.8 SLs around so unless you stumble across one it is most likely you will end up with a 1.6. My car started life as a 1.6SL and it was fantastic - the 1.6 SuperSport is a sweet revving engine and most of the fun is keeping it in the top half of the rev range. It's all the extras that really define the SL, not least being the 6 speed box. Have fun 😬.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Don't get hung up on the engine size, as stated buy trhe best car you can. Mine is a humble 1.4 supersport that cheerfully keeps up with "bigger" models if you use plenty of revs (and if you aren't are you sure you want a 7? 😬). It will also see off most cars this side of a BMW M3, and in a set of bends most sports cars won't see which way it went.

welcome

I have a 1.8k SL and have prevoisly had a 1.6 SS

If you are thinking on doing any sprints or hill climbs then you have 2 questions to answer. If you are just going to do club sprints then either engine will do. if you were to entre another champoinship then the 1.6 will put you into a diffrent class and you might be more compedative.

if you are driving it on the road the 1.6 is more involved and i liked the way its all at the top end of the revs. The plus side to the 1.8 is you can be lazy and it pulls from much lower revs.

You will not be disapointed with either. try and drive both and compair.

David

IMHO the 1.6SS and 6 speed box do make the archetypal combination in the more recent 7's. The 1.6K thrives on revs and the 6 speed helps make the most of whats there. Probably even better with a light flywheel and the added security of forged pistons though 😬 😬 😬

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

Edited by - Bozz on 16 Mar 2007 07:56:06

Arn't i the lucky one 😬 By the end of next week i will have Ernies SL 1.6 sitting in my garage. I feel so good i may treat myself to a beer tonight.

Many thanks for all the input from the guy's at the local meet last night.

superlight, superlight 😬 *thumbup*