Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speed Sensor Mounting

philwaters

• Area Representative

Hi Phil,

Not a natty method but I glued my magnet to a brake disk nut, and cable tied the sensor to the upright.

Adil

Hi Phil - I am using this speedo sensor on my front O/S wheel for my Mychron 3 - it is picking up a tiny 'disc-shaped' magnet which I epoxy'd to the wheel rim. But yes I had to fabricate an L-shaped bracket which I bolted to the flat section of the wingstay (ie. through the same plate that the tapered balljoint goes through). Works great but yeah it's just another thing to spend time making.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the Mychron fuel sender circuit.

Yamaham @ Keevil

• 1 year later...

I can take some of mine tomorrow if it helps. I used to have the CC Stack mounting bracket, but when I changed to a magnet-sensor with the MXL/Emerald I epoxied the magnet to a disk bolt and used a Z shaped piece of metal to mount the sensor through. The other end of the Z-piece I mounted using the lower (I think) caliper mounting bolt. Holds it perfectly *thumbup*

Let me know if some snaps are needed and I'll get some for you if tomorrow's not too late.

Phil's updated his galleries recently. You'll be able to find the mount here now I think

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 29 Jun 2008 21:50:06

It is best to mount the sensor to a non driven wheel. This because of slip. It is however possible to set the amount of slip on the Stack dash.

I will mount sensors on al 4 wheels because I need them for my traction control (other discussion)

Rehards

Q.

I made a nice nylon mount for my speed sensor. It sits on the cross member in front of the rear diff and counts the propshaft bolts.

My calculations got the speed reasonable, but fine tuned it using a GPS speedo. I do have to remember that the indicated speed doesn't have the usual over-read when passing speed cameras etc.

Not sure what the limit to counting propshaft bolts is, but during some high speed runs up at Elvington the speed sometimes gets a bit confused around an indicated 110

A Z-shaped bracket mounted on the lower caliper mount worked well *smile*. The LED on the backside of the sensor was helpful, it lights up as soon as +12V and GND is connected (and metal is nearby - my sensor is a proximity switch, no need for a magnet). I didn't get a reading to start with but turned out I needed to change the sensor type to ABS.

A little off-topic. Some of the sensors are not quite as steady as I would expect, in particular oil pressure and water temp. I use pull-up resistors in the 2-3Kohm range. Oil pressure is up'n'down all the time, while water temp suddenly drops 20 degrees and then recovers after a bit.

Does anyone know how many mA each Vref can supply? Or are they all internally connected to the same output?

Edited by - TorAtle on 2 Jul 2008 23:05:52