Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Seats wobbly

amosian

A short while back, I was taking a large mate for a spin and when he got into the car, the seat made a cracking noise and seemed to go a bit loose and wobbly on the back support. Now the same thing has happened to the driver seat.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks

The early seats broke right at the bottom and were then reinforced. If you pull back the material it is quite easy to see. If you lean on the seat back when the seat is not fully back and supported by the rear scuttle this can cause the frame to break. It may be worthwhile to check the cars floor as there was also a problem with the rivets pulling out of the chassis.

My 97 car and PP's 96 car suffered this failure.

Metal Mikey welded mine up for me. It's only a problem if you don't sit with the back of the seat against the rear bulkhead.

In a 97 chassis, there are no mountings on the tube at the lower rear of the cockpit for adding any form of reinforcement. I think these are present in earlier and later cars (a worrying sign). It does worry me being supported only by some 20 rivets and a bit of angled section ali. One day (like all the one day I'll do it jobs) I'll get Arch to add the rear mountings to the cockpit and reinforce the floor of the cockpit unless anybody can reassure me that the rivets will not fail. I really don't like the idea of finding my a**e on the floor at over 100mph!

blush.gifsmile.gif

Alex

If you take the seat pad out you can see on our passenger seat where both steel tubes have cracked just infront of the rear mounting bolt on the sliding mechanism, caused by the reasons given above of not having the seat-back up against the bulkhead. The seat back now wobbles as it is only fixed by one bolt each side right at the bottom (if that makes sense) I guess this is another potential failure point as opposed to the rivets. Does look like a relativly simple welding job to fix.