Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

conversion of 1.6k ?

ECR

On behalf of a non member trying to buy a car.

"However I have one question, how easy/expensive is it to convert a 1.6 supersport engine, (which would come with a 1.6 Superlight). Into a 190BHP+ I assume one would increase it to 1.8 or 1.9 first.

Which is the most cost effective

Convert a Roadsport to a Superlight or

Engine work on a 1.6 to get the required BHP? "

Ex Chairman Roger

ECR, probably depends on the spec of the Roadsport to start with but I suspect that a general answer would be that it would be much cheaper and easier to do the engine work on a genuine Superlight with all the nice bits as opposed to buying a Roadsport and having to add 6-Speed, LSD, Big Brakes, Adjustable Suspension and still have to do some engine work. I think 190BHP can be had for about 3-4K from looking at DVA website.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

The route I went was to buy a R400/dry sump installation and swap it into my Superlight. Easy, and I think fairly cost effective.

OTOH I wish I had bought a R400 or more likely a SLR from the start - probably not much more expensive overall, and of course it would be the genuine article.

Dave

Wrong route!

I bought a nice 1.6 supersport and then spent 5 years upgrading to get to what is effectively an R500 equivalent (DVA 1.9 etc *smokin*...). At one stage it went through a very effective >200 bhp 1.7 phase but with an expensive DK crank and the rest...

Start with an SLR/R400 and it is all a lot less hassle! 😬

V7 HPD

190 bhp is possible from a 1.6 without much hassle. I ran a 186bhp 1.6k for two years it was a great little engine. Basically its was just a ported head with slightly enlarge valves running on the standard valve inserts,Piper 740 cams, TBS and an Emerald ecu. IMO the 1.6 is a much sweeter engine to tune. I did an article for low flying ( DIY VHPD) detailing the work.