Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Does a sump need an oil inlet?

k80rum

Prepare yourself for a very numpty question... *redface*

I know dry sump pans have one or more scavenge outlets, but does the pan ever need an oil feed on a K series? (apart from the obvious one from above *smile* )

My understanding was that if you used an external pump to provide both the scavenge and pressure a-la Pace, that you definitely wouldn't since the oil is sucked out of the scavenges, pumped into the tank and then sucked out of the tank and pumped into the engine via a sandwich plate through the oil filter at the front left corner of the engine. In this case you'd only need a couple of scavenge points in the sump yes?

Based on that (and here's where I'm probably starting to enter fantasy territory) I'm guessing that if you used a scavenge-only external pump and relied on the internal pump to provide the pressure a-la Caterham, you'd need an oil inlet in the dry sump pan simply because that's where the oil pickup traditionally is? (only that can't be right because the oil pickup would be fighting the scavenge vacumn) *confused*

I'm utterly confused but keen to understand it although all i actually need to know is whether I need an inlet on the sump for a pace pump-style setup.

Thanks for helping..

Darren

In a DS Install that uses the std pressure pump the sump pick up pipe is removed and the sump has a casting that allows the pipe from the bottom of the DS tank to feed directly into the bottom of the pressure pump. So in effect it works like the 3 stage pump in your first setup, it just uses two pumps

Mark

Ah... thanks Mark that makes sense.

So in a standard install on a K using the INTERNAL pump, the tank hose effectively ends up mating directly to the pickup inside the sump, oil then flows around the engine/filter as normal and then drops back down into the sump to be scavenged.

Whereas for an install on a K that's using an EXTERNAL pump, the internal pump rotor is removed (eliminating the 'suck' at the pickup pipe) and the tank hose is plumbed via the pressure stage of the external pump which can then feed into the engine at the oil filter via a sandwich plate. From there it goes around the engine and drops back into the sump to be scavenged.

Right?

Many thanks

Darren

Edited by - k80rum on 13 Mar 2007 12:08:36

Darren

If you decide to go with the external pressure & scavenge pump (ala PACE) then you can buy a new filter housing from Think Auto which has a pressure input connector at the front of the housing. This elliminates the sandwich plate & the associated problem of the plumbing having to go through the alternater belt.

Mick

Ooo. I wasn't aware of that - thanks for the heads-up Mick *thumbup* Are there any pics of it? I'd be interested to see it and also find if it has an oil pressure sensor take-off

I guess I can always sell my sandwich plate and hoses anyway, so buying something that's going to do a neater job is kind of justifiable.

Darren