Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

I'm sure its hydralic tappets....

w powers

when I bought my R300 eu2 I was told it would be the same engine as my previous R300, ie roller barrels, solid followers etc. I cant remember what the last engine sounded like but this one is very tappety until its properly warmed up? *confused*

Doesn't that mean its got hydralic tappets?

How else would I know if it has or hasn't?

the last R300 with Roller Barrels (I think)

*confused*errm ! I stand to be corrected cause I'm not technical boffin (otherwise I wouldn't have posted on here) but I'm pretty certain neither this or my previous R300's were VVC and they both had / got the roller barrels. I'm sure the VVC don't have the roller barrels?

the last R300 with Roller Barrels (I think)

If it sounds tappety when cold that would suggest you have solid followers. Why not take the cam cover off and check what valve clearances you have? If you are able to measure any significant clearances then you have solid followers.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 13 Mar 2007 08:20:58

NO expert in engines (or much else for that matter) but I've heard hydraulic tappets make noise before. Mine did it when the oil was 10/40 and thrashed (I now run 5/30) zetec car though.

A friends VX it sounded tappety because his tappet? had collapsed and required replacing.

I also believe that old oil degrades, so in time your tappets start off noisy and then the noise clears as the car warms up (not sure of the exact mechanism behinds this though).

Worth asking yourself if you've got old oil in there and if it's the right stuff?

Nigel Mills - My next car must have xenons