Click here if you are having website access problems ×

honeycomb flooring question

olij

Hello All,

question about honeycomb flooring on my 93 de dion supersport. In my previous live axle car that didn't have the honeycomb, I felt much lower in the car - in the supersport with honeycomb you feel as though you are sitting on the car rather than in it, relatively speaking of course. The main problem is on the passenger side where I have an S-type cloth adjustable seat - feels like a high chair! Plus I have a rollcage so the lower the seating the better really. I assume the honeycomb's overall purpose is to protect from objects from underneath - if thats the case then I could just use a thin sheet of steel - all the weight saving fanatics gasp in horror!?

the honeycomb appears to be about 1cm thick - is this standard? anyone else tried other materials?

cheers!

Oli

It's main aim I'm sure is side impact protection. The composite material resists bending strongly so a sidways impact will have to crumple the honeycomb which would absorb a lot of energy. A side impact would crumple a thin sheet of steel without any real effort.

I don't have adjustable seats but seem to recall others mounting them differently and saving a lot of height.