Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Electric Problems - SOLVED (Reverse Charged Battery)

MTH

I tried to reconnect the battery in the Caterham last week, which resulted in lots of sparks *eek*. Enough heat was generated in a split second to burn my finger *eek*.

I suppose there must be a short circuit somewhere. The trouble is I'm moving house, have no time to look at the car and have to move it next weekend. Any suggestions on a quick fix, otherwise it's the AA and a tow (trailer?) to the Seven Workshop.

[Further Background. The car was parked up last November without a battery conditioner as there was no power in the garage. Attempting one last blat before winter I found the battery was completely dead so moved it indoors, put it on a charger then switched to the conditioner and left it connected]

Thanks

Mark

Edited by - mth on 16 Mar 2007 09:31:45

Looks like it's a call to the AA then (we have home start). Do I need to insist on a flatbed or is there some way the Caterham can be towed?

Also does anyone know if Chris at the 7 Workshop is there as he's not answering the phone?

That is one hell of a short circuit ?

Should a fuse go before such pyrotechnics could occur ?

Could a 7 be towed by lifting the front wheels and letting the rear wheels spin, with handbrake off and in neutral ? Is this permitted ?

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.

• Area Representative
There has been mention of using an A frame (front wheels suspended in air and towed using rear wheels) in the past but the general consensus is that it will do the diff no favours due to the angle of the car and how much oil it will be running in. Much better to have a proper flatbed vehicle move the car or see if a local blatchatter can give you a hand with a trailer

or see if a local blatchatter can give you a hand with a trailer

I'll be taking the car from Welwyn Garden City to the 7 Workshop in Hoddesdon on Thursday. Hopefully the AA will co-operate but otherwise can someone help with a trailer (for a suitable charitable donation) on Thursday? I have a car with towbar but not much experience of towing ...

Thanks

Mark

Phil, No. Connected +ive first, touched the lead to the -ive and a few sparks. Thought "that's odd" and decided that perhaps I was doing it wrong. Connected -ive first, then tried to connect +ive by hand - not a spanner in sight. Lots of sparks, heat, and a burnt finger. My words not repeatable here!

Will look at the other thread in a second.

Mark

Problem now solved.

I'd inadvertantly connected the charger the wrong way round. *redface* The battery was so dead that the charger didn't detect the reverse polarity and I now have a reverse charged battery. *mad*

The good news is that there doesn't appear to be any other fault, and the alternator is working. I now have a new battery and should be up and running at the weekend *cool*

I may even be able to resurrect the old battery by running it flat and then recharging it correctly.

I did wonder about suggesting that, but reasoned that the charger would have shouted very loudly, thus not letting you do it.

Now I know better.

Colour chart required next time *wink*

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.

Seem to remember reading hat this was done with submarine batteries, reversed the process of ion deposition from one anode to the other (don't know where I dredged up those technical details, sounds like I know what I'm talking about though 😬)

allen