Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering rack adjustment - socket size

Mrs Kipper

I have a small amount of play in the steering rack which I understand can be taken out by adjustment of the big nut/allen key on the top of the rack. Can anyone tell me what size socket I need to fit the big nut and is it just a questions of loosen off, adjust with the allen key and then tighten back up 🤔

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Kipper, I can't remember the exact size but it is pretty much as you describe. Before declaring that the job is a 'goodun' though I would lift the front wheels clear of the ground and check that the steering moves from lock to lock smoothly as there is a fine line between taking up the slack and overtightening it and causing it to stiffen up here and there across its range of travel which is easy to do. If there are any stiff bits going lock to lock just slacken it off a smidge. *thumbup*

Edited by - Graham Perry on 12 Mar 2007 08:37:31

• Area Representative

Kipper,

It'a 36mm socket that you need. I've got an impact wrench type socket that is hexaonal. The Bi-hex ones other have more of a lead, and dont support the nut until a few mm up. But this nut is very thin and has a chamfer that makes the issue even worse!

• Area Representative

Big nut on rack is 36mm as I recall.

TOP TIP :-

A 36mm socket can be expensive. However, it is a size used on cranks of push bikes. If you go to your local cycle shop or the cycle dept. of Halfords you'll find a cheap open end cycle spanner which should do the job.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Area Representative

Curses Richard beat me to it. At least it confirms that it is 36mm.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional