Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tow bars - and 2004 Mondeo's for £5000

Bricol

Any suggestions as to the best place (and hopefully) the cheapest to get a self-fit tow bar for a 2004 Mundano , sorry, Mondeo?

Car will in West/North Yorks.

And I suppose I ought to have asked this first - anyone any comments on how an 2004 1.8 version tows? Potential purchaser of said vehicle (G/F's dad) has a 1996 Mk1 version and it drags it's bum on the floor at the hint of anything on the tow ball.

He wouldn't be looking at another, but £5000 for a 2004 1.8LX with 20,000 miles on the clock, full history, one pretty careful (scrape down nearside) owner seems a good deal from a Ford dealer - all defects sorted prior to sale etc.

I tried convincing him an integrale makes an excellent tow car (mines does anyway) but for some reason, 18mpg seems to put him off . . .

Bri

I towed my R300 and PRG Sport 14 trailer with an X-reg (Mk 1 or 2 *confused*- the shape before the current one anyway) 1.8 Zetec- it managed it ok but I wouldn't call it a relaxing tow- we struggled up the hills and the acceleration was......, let's say pedestrian. It did the job though- mpg was mid to high 20s when towing, so not bad.

As engines usually get improved over time, maybe the new shape has slightly improved power / torque so should be ok for anything up to just over a tonne. It did tend to drag its arse if I wasn't careful with the noseweight- if it was about 75-90 kilos the car sat better, but was less stable as an outfit.

Hope this helps with question 2 *smile*

• Area Representative

Towsure in Sheffield will be best for your tow bracket - you should be able to Google them.

I am just about to dispose of a 2004 1.8LX Mondeo. I've not used it that much for towing, but it is fine, although the 1.8 engine is a bit gutless when you have a trailer on. Having said that it will cruise happily on the motorway, but you'll need to use the gears a bit on any slopes.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional