Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series starting

dreamer_uk75

The infamous click of death

Having just spent 30 minutes moving cars around to get it out the garage, and now pushing it up and down the drive in 3rd, 2nd and 4th, I give up ! It won't start !!

Started yesterday after a klick and a rock in 4th but today just not having any of it.

Any tips about how to get her started (nobody around to give it a push !)

have done a bit of searching and found that the pro blem could be either

a) solenoid

b) relay

c) starter

Yes I have the hot starting issue, but this is different - car is cold !

So does anybody have pictures of these 3 bits so I can identify them!

• Area Representative

Sounds likely to be a poor contact somewhere. Laborious job of cleaning all the connections starting with the battery and earthing straps.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 11 Mar 2007 09:29:06

Dreamer - if its cold starting it may be the post on the solenoid, where the thin positive wire screws onto the solenoid. Mine was almost hanging off!

I had problems where sometimes it would start hot and/or cold other times nothing. The post was rattling round and shorting out on the casing, so the problem appeared random.

One more thing to check Im afraid (but easy - just poke it!)

---

this is a local sig for local people!

ah sorry - pictures!

have a look at myles site, thats the only piccies i know of.

here

In words:-

Starter is the big lump under the exhaust pipes exiting the engine, it will have a thick red cable from the battery, and the thick earth lead.

Solenoid is the smaller lump attached to the top of the starter, it will have the thinner red lead into it.

Relay is a bit more complicated and i never quite figured it out.

Once i sorted my post out I havent had any problems with starter/solenoid yet...

---

sorry third post as i read another bit - its very difficult to start it yourself, you have to be at slow jogging speed and im not nimble enough to manage that and then jump back in the car...

I tried the other day on a pretty steep bit of hill and couldnt do it *redface*

---

Mine used to have problems starting when cold.

I regreased the solenoid, and also replaced the solenoid feed wire, as mine was fried.

No problems after that (for a while!) until after a long blat, the mounting post (which is fragile, and a known problem) fell off. SO, after soldering the wire directly to the solenoid, it was fixed again.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

The relay is not standard, or rather the "relay fix" that by-passes the relay in the MFU is not standard, so you may not have one.

The simple fix (if it only happens occasionally) is an extra wire fitted to the solenoid which you can dab on the +ve post of the battery to start the engine. I tried the accepted "relay fix" and it worked for a while but now I've fitted a second relay that directly connects the battery and solenoid when I press the start button. I don't think that's acceptable on a race car as it's by-passing the FIA switch.

I can tell you chapter and verse about the problem but I'm busy today... mine wouldn't start yesterday 😳 But that's a charging problem, not a starter problem *rolleyes*

Interesting guys thank you - sounds like a project for next weekend maybe !!

I think I will get a Brise starter anyway as I think the hot-start issue is something that isn't fixable with the standard starter?

But if your tips mean that can wait for a while (need to buy a new cage) then cool !!!

(PS no chance of starting it myself - full cage and side impact bars etc.!)

Went for a fantastic blat after i did eventually get it going though !