Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

XFLOW operating temp

MarcNS

What is the normal operating temp for a crossflow?

I have a 74deg thermo and the fan kicks in a little after this. last year the fan was always on when at speed and the engine got very hot at track days.

I want to order a Radtec radiator or similar and better fan and cure the problem, I'm told the standard fan is all that will fit.

I also plan to try and work out how to do a sealed system.

I figure if I do everything the problem should go away.

Any advice?

I tried to go low on the thermo as the temp goes up to 90 on a run, but it never comes down!

I know this is a much posted subject but the car exceeds 90 deg on a track day and I want to keep out on track longer.

Requirements for closed loop system (if I can remember) :-

1/. Different stat housing with small nozzle on it, (to suit 6 or 8mm hose). Don't be tempted to get one from a scrapped Fiesta - often they're frost damaged and after spending hours cleaning them up it's a pain to have to bin them. Don't ask me how I know. Cost a few quid from a Ford dealer or autoparts place.

2/. Nozzle to go onto water pump in place of the plug that's there now (available from Ford dealers and somewhere in archives is the part number). It's the same part that people use for connecting x-flow breather into cam cover. If you get a straight connector it'll screw straight in - but this can limit your pipe routing. If you get a 90degree angle one it can make pipe runs a bit neater but (IIRC) it can only be fitted by removing water pump from engine !.

3/. Hose of various bores (nice samco-type looks nice especially if it matches the rad hoses),

4/. Header tank - can be either from a Rover (don't know part number but I'm sure others will come along soon with that info), or if you're feeling flush you can get a nice shiny metal one,

I think that's it,

Dave

X-flow(er) powered

• Leadership Team
If you are not counting the pennies, you can buy the complete closed system kit from the 7 Workshop - mine cost about £100 =P&p about 2 years ago. Fitted easily in about two hours.

Mine used to be fine on a 74 deg thermostat. I would investigate flushing your engine (hose in one end) and radiator and also confirm that you have all the air out. Mine would quickly kick the fan in if I got stopped in traffic for any length of time but the fan would contain it. Friends had a similar cooling setup without problems too although some ran a thermostat controlled oil cooler too. Dumb question but your antifreeze level is ok?