Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Racing numbers...

Red SLR

No doubt this has been asked loads of times but what do you lot do for racing numbers?

As I am new to this I have no numbers and with 150 cars in my group how do I know which numbers to take?

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

When I was Rallying the organisers used to inform you of your number prior to the event.

You could then purchase or make your own numbers, but the organisers always had numbers for sale at scrutineering.

Don't know if this applies to Sprints.

TonyR

Simon ,

If you are sprinting in class 2a , I suggest you buy a pack of 50 numbers from Demon Theives or alike . Plus order an extra half dozen number 4's - I always seemed to be 40 something last year in this class ....

Good luck with the season - where is your first event ? , which championship are you doing ??

dave

Thanks guys, I have got hold of the schedule and I am number 60.

Thanks for the info, I think I will try and make my own numbers for this event, although I will have a look at the DT ones as I will be there sometime in the week to get a last few bits and bobs.

Dave, I am doing the Longton Championsip.

Cheers

Simon.

X777CAT

Hi

I am in Class 2A, its my first event also.

What are you doing about numbers?

I have just tried to make some on my PC, they look very big if I make them regulation size.

Do they have to be spot on, ie 33cmx48cm in total??

What time are you planning on getting there?

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Haven't read the blue book recently re numbers but Deomon Tweeks sell both normal size 11 inch numbers and smaller 9 inch numbers. I have always used 9 inch numbers and never been rejected by the scrutes. They fit various bits of the Cat much more easily than would 11 inch numbers.

Fablon can leave marks on your paint or aluminium.

For Sprinting the Blue Book supplies no definition for numbers other than 'acceptable to the timekeeper on the day'. In general almost anything will do and they will go out of their way to help you.

You don't need a white background, it's just necessary that the numbers are reasonably readable.

I've used Demon Tweeks 9inchers on the rear wing endplate of my single seater at a range of venues with no bother. I used to use laser-print-on-transparency on my Caterham which could be reused, applied quickly with black insulating tape, and didn't leave (m)any marks on the bare aluminium.

A pack of 9inch from DT is less than £15 and with care you can reuse some of them. You'd probably go most of a season on a pack.

Paul

Simon a man of your means could afford a sign writer every week !!

Have you seen the link on last fridays blast in the North east, brilliant roads. id like to get some of our lot together for a trip north when the weather becomes a bit more reliable, when and where are you competing?

cheers Glenn

> For Sprinting the Blue Book supplies no definition for numbers

That explains why I haven't found it then.

> You don't need a white background, it's just necessary that the numbers are reasonably readable

Last year there were BRG cars with black numbers on and that was OK with the timekeepers although I couldn't read them at all. So black on a light car and white on a dark car is more than enough. I think the important thing is to take the numbers off immediately after the last run, if you leave them on until the next event they're much more difficult to remove, they seem to go brittle and come off in a thousand little bits and leave the glue behind.

While we're on numbers what has happened to numbers on F1 cars? Do they still have them or do they rely on the helmet colours to say which team member is which. I guess electronic transducers mean the timekeepers aren't fussed and a foot square number means they have to turn down a quadzillion quids worth of advertising.

Simon,

I bought a pack of 9 inch racing numbers from Demon Tweeks. About to stich on white backgrounds but a bit concerned about then pulling paint off /leaving marks. I have head if you spay WD40 onto paintwork then wipe most off with cloth then stick background on it will probably be OK.

Hoping to get their about 8.15am I have a near 2 hour drive from north of Harrogate. Car will be trailered.

Tony

Simon

You should be OK with black numbers on your yellow car. The smaller numbers are acceptable on a Caterham. The DT numbers are more expensive than other sources but in my experience come off the car with less mess and are worth having. You can often chop up surplus numbers to make ones you've used up - eg, I have used the odd spare 8 to make a 9!

Sorry I cannot be there on Saturday to support you - hope it goes OK.

Tim

Tim

It's grim oop north

Tony, I will be there at about 730 I think, see you there. I live about 20 miles from there so I will drive the 7.

Glenn!! Where did you spring from, I was hoping to get the AV Unit to make me some up actually!!!

I am doing the Longton Championship and I am at the first sprint on Sunday, drop me an e-mail.

simon.scott@hutchison3g.com

I am off to DT this lunch time.

Ta

Simon.

X777CAT

Although you might get away with dark numbers on a light car and vice versa, I was at Harewood Hill a couple of weeks ago (BARC event) and they insisted on an additional contrasting background to the numbers i.e. a white square if you are using black numbers. My car is pale yellow.

Didn't have to be anything flash though, a couple of sheets of A4 attached with masking tape was OK.

I use 11" numbers and white background from DT and they fit on the sides of the 7(just)

SteveP

Simon,

Put it this way - chances are you will get away without having a white background.

If you want to do things by the book and guarantee no grief, then put them on a white background.

Just go prepared with some A4 sheets and masking tape in case they insist.

SteveP