Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Update

Dannyboy

Well, DVA has done wonders with my leaky, asthmatic and very broken engine and I have it back, clean, hopefully leak free and hopefully operating as it was intended!!

The list of broken bits included Cracked liner, broken piston, bent rod, 2 dropped valves and one bent one, and a knackered head from the valve impact *smokin* Never been known to do things by halves so I destroyed it properly y'know 😬 😬 So Mark....if we need any bits for a new trophy at the end of the year I have a box of 'used' parts in the garage!

So, engine has now been installed...twice *mad* Some numbnut... installed the clutch fork back to front absent mindedly *rolleyes* and didn't realise until I'd got the engine bolted in and connected the clutch cable...

However engine removed again, clutch fork installed correctly...Jeez the engine is heavy when you've got to lift it around yourself without an engine crane.....must eat more shredded wheat 😬

So....a couple of hours plumbing to go, install the inlet manifold/ plenum and exhaust and I'll be ready to crank her over to build up oil pressure prior to starting her up!! 🥰 *smokin*

So....what are peoples thoughts on running in process 🤔 🤔 And...no I'm now going to rag the 🙆🏻 off it from the word go 😬 I'll save that for Cadwell *wink* *wink*

Anyhow...I'm happier than a happy thing that the orange thing in the garage is becoming more than just a pretty ornament again *wink*

Dannyboy *tongue*

Dan

Good to hear the engine is back in, out and in your car *rolleyes*. I suggest that you use mineral oil to run the car in for the first 500 miles of road use as this will help the rings in the bores. Gradually build up the revs over this period but do not keep it on or near the limit but I'm sure you knew that anyway *smokin*. Be warned do not use mineral oil on the track *nono*

Thereafter change the oil and filter using a good synthetic oil and away you go *thumbup*

....and make sure you bleed all the air out of the cooling system too

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Mark.

Was planning to use mineral oil!!Also, try to get the engine through a lot of heat cycles...not load the engine for long periods..keep below 5k for a few hundred miles!

Then hopefully after about 800 miles I'll change over to synthetic and give her a few more beans working up to using full revs over the next few hundred miles....That sound usual?

Will let you know about the other thing when I hear Mark!! Fingers are crossed!!!!!!

Dannyboy *tongue*

Neil...No NOS..however we're rigging a turbo that looks like a heater into the system 😬 😬 😬

Smoke dispenser has been removed by DVA....spoilsport *mad* as has the oil slick dispenser *mad* *mad*

Beers..but not too many tuesday...I will evaluate work and home duties for the wednesday beer before committing 😬 😬 😬

hmmm....also hoping that if I get the engine plumbed and working.....500 mile round trip could well be an opportunity to do some serious running in 😬 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

Good news Dan and good luck in the final.

I had to 'run in' my DVA built engine last year and did it exactly as Mark described.

500 miles on mineral oil building revs but not using much throttle and trying to vary throttle inputs. Then I put some proper oil in in with a filter change and thrashed the 🙆🏻 off it at Longcross.

Adrian

i'd like to say I followed that advice but didn't quite manage it 😳 due to lack of time...

it was more of 200 miles on the mineral oil at varying revs up and down the M3, a quick oil change and then a curbugger test day in the wet, and straight onto a damp longcross *eek*

seems to have lost me at least a second everywhere when compared to Adrian, and a few mph through the speed traps 😬

rob *smokin*

And....after all the good news yesterday...at 6:30last night the caterham finally ran again!!! *smokin* *smokin* *smokin*

It does appear there is a lot of fluid still lining the exhaust though and the heat wrap appears moist...After 3-4 mins I couldn't see into the garage because of the steam/ noxious gases 😬 😬 😬

However, car ran beautifully, bit of tappet noise but hopefully that'll settle down a bit! Some new HT leads should help with smooth running also!

Anyhoo......I hope to get home early today to carry on finishing the engine - just got to secure the Alternator loom to the engine on drivers side, install the braces for the inlet plenum and install the passenger side engine bay bracing and that's job done!

Oh..and remove the heater!! However, I have to buy/ manufacture/ beg steal or borrow a plate to fit over the hole!! Heater is now not connected into the water system so that's one potential air lock removed!! 😬

So...anyone know where I can get a heater blanking plate from??? If not, it's tin snips, lots of patience and use of a metal file *mad*

Then, put the seats back in, install the belts, fix the indicators..blumin caterham electrics *mad* *mad* fix the fog lamp..again electrics *mad* *mad* and take for a wee run *smokin* *smokin* *smokin*

Dannyboy *tongue*

Adam! Will do *wink*

mark...not worried about the new lightweight saga sevener....it's his offspring I had concern about 😬 😬 😬 😬 Another year older.....his zimmer frame must be interfering with the steering by now

Dannyboy *tongue*

Well guys and gals! Looks like you're putting up with me for another year *wavey* *wavey*

Did well, but failed to secure the race drive!! Hey ho!! *cry*However, was quickest driver on the day and single lap time was only 0.5s off the standard set by the proper race drivers 😬 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

Dan

Congratulations on going so close and on being the quickest *thumbup* Their loss is our gain and it will be great to have you in the paddock this year, although some of your rivals in class 2 may not be so keen to see you 😬

I take it you plan to do the round at Llandow *wink*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Cheers Mark!! Was excellent fun yesterday! I think my sponsorship proposal was the items that let me down in reality as I'd approached it from the wrong perspective!

However, Gary, the guy who won it was definately a deserving winner! Not much slower but competant in every area!

Dunno what a good lap time is, but my best was just over 47secs for the lap....I reckon the 7 would be a fair bit quicker!!

And.....YES, Llandow is one of the round I'll be attending 😬 😬 😬 And...yes, I think I've found a fair bit of speed *smokin*

If nothing else the Instructors, Ollie Hancock et al, really helped with technique, smoothing out my style somewhat and allowing me to let the car work a lot harder..however, we'll see how that translates as the season progresses 😬 😬 😬

Can't imagine some of the 'old' habits will not emerge occasionally!!

BTW...I might well be up at the Surry meet later! If I get the seats in...and the fuel tank tightened *redface* (explaining why my rear fog light didn't work...earth connection is through the reatining bolts and was loose) I'll probably bring that up for it's first spin and to start the running in 😬 😬 😬 The engine certainly feels a lot more sprightly than it did *smokin*

Dannyboy *tongue*