Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series Cam Belt & Verniers1993 1400K ss

Brucey

I changed the cam belt & fitted vernier pulleys to my 7 about 3K miles ago.

I removed the top cam belt cover tonight and redunant engine mount to machine the lugs off ready to fit my Apollo at the next service.

I noticed a small amount of black dust on the inside rim of the pulleys and inside the cover. Is this normal?

I read on this forum that zetec timing belts get tighter as the engine gets hot and are set fairly loose when cold. I can move the longest bit of my belt about 10mm with the engine cold (mechanical tensioner with spring removed). Is this about right? Sometimes I can hear a very fient 'whining' when the engine is hot and I am a bit paranoid I've set the belt a bit tight, although it 'feels' right.

Also, this is the first time I will get the car MOT'd with the verniers and cat side exhaust (std pulleys & cat full internal exhaust system last time). I had trouble getting through slow idle emissions last time (full test as factory built car). Will the verniers make it worse as the tick over is more 'lumpy' now? I'm hoping the side exit exhaust will melt the probe this time!

Any advice appreciated.

Bruce.

Bozz & Allen, thanks for your replies.

My pulleys (bought 2nd hand) are anodised blue Piper items. The belt doen't appear to be rubbing on anything and looks in good condition (no shiney bits on teeth or frayed edges etc).

Come to think of it, the 'feint whining' noise may have been the wife as I did have my Ipod on at the time. Maybe I should just turn the volume up. *eek* *wink*

Any thoughts on verniers and emissions? I could tweek the verniers (inlet cam timing?) for the MOT, although I will probably see if it fails first.

Bruce.

Bozz,

I have accepted that my car will have to go through a full cat test, especially with the introduction of computer issued MOT certificates.

The question I have is: does fitting vernier cam pulleys affect emissions? I guess I'll find out in April when the MOT is due!

Last year I left the car at the garage as it only failed on slow idle emissions. After 2 weeks and £270 worth of trying different things, they chucked £5 worth of petrol treatment in and it passed *mad* This time I'll put the treatment in and take it for a good thrash before the test 😬

Bruce.

Whether the emissions are affected will depend wholly on how you have set the cam timing and how tolerant the ECU is of a poor MAP signal at idle.

It would be easy to mark the verniers at their current postion and then back the inlet cam timing off a bit to improve the MAP and thence the ECU will have an easier time of it, following the MOT you can then re-establish your timing.

Oily

Thanks Oily,

I set the inlet at 1.45mm & the exhaust at 1.08mm as per your reccomenations when I fitted the verniers. I've still got the brakets and dial gauges, so I can always reset.

I'll leave it at that for the time being as it definately goes better. If I have problems with the MOT, how much should I back the inlet off? Could you also confirm which way I turn the cam (looking at the front of the engine).

I must be getting that 3 year itch as second hand 1600 engines are becoming more interesting every time I see one!

Bruce.