Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

cranking advance

julians

2.0 zetec.

And does it make much difference depending on the state of tune of the engine.

I use a DTA ecu, and this doesent appear to have anywhere to set the cranking advance precisely. There is a startup enrichment map for fuelling, but no startup map for ignition. The only way to set it appears to be via an option called 'firing tooth on startup' which refers to how many teeth on the crank timing wheel before TDC should it fire, and as the wheel only has 36 teeth, this would appear to let me set it to 0 deg, 10 deg, 20 deg ,30 deg etc etc rather than precise amounts.

Can anyone else who has a DTA ecu confirm this?

Edited by - julians on 29 Mar 2002 19:08:31

Ric Woods in stockport mapped it for the new cams recently, did a good job too once they had realised their new dial guage was calibrated in different units to the old one.

I went to visit cooper west last year to suss them out , to see if I would trust them with my car. They took it for a quick spin, and pronounced that my gearbox was shagged because it was whining a lot (its a straight cut box), needless to say I didnt let them loose on the car. They seem to be a bit boy racer'esque, they were promising all sorts of things from their rolling road (+10bhp no matter what, that sort of thing), the sort of things the nova boys love. I got bad vibes from them.

Edited by - julians on 29 Mar 2002 23:23:29

Thanks for the answers, I'll give it a whirl.

On another note, the engine has difficulty idling after its been thrashed for a few minutes,but once it has been driven gently for a couple of minutes it will idle perfectly again. Also it will be idling perfectly once its all warmed up, but if you momentarily switch it off and then back on again it wont idle until it has been driven round gently for a bit.

Its on throttle bodies and a DTA 3D ecu, it doesent have any form of idle control. I've had a look at the ecu when its started to play up, but I'm not getting any funny readings on anything, ie throttle pot is reading OK and there are no errors from the crank sensor.

Any ideas where I should be looking? I was thinking it could be due to an air leak on the inlet manifold, but I dont know why this would occur after it has been thrashed or just after re-starting up.

Edited by - Julians on 30 Mar 2002 17:24:40

No worries, I think it depends who you let look at the car wink.gif

I know one of the guys there and he is very good, but if you already know someone you had best stick to them,,, dont suppose they do K series work do they?

X777CAT

It might be a temperature related issue. If you thrash it, things are going to warm up and if you switch off you will get heat soak. Do you have an air temperature sensor on the system and if so, is it possible that it positioned so that it might be fooled into giving unreasonable output under these conditions?

If so, it is possible that your air temp correction curve is altering the fuelling or ignition by an amount that won't let the engine idle. Idling is always the most difficult thing for an engine to do, so is the first to be affected.

Then in that case, it could be that you need one in order to correct matters when heat builds up.

I'm not saying that this is definitely your problem but we often see a similar problem on the rolling road with carburettor cars that won't idle after a bit of a pasting - push them out into the fresh air and leave for 5 minutes and the idle comes back.