Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brise Starter Motor

Nifty

This is a model 9522 which was new last year.

It has the solenoid below the starter which means it does not suffer from the overheating problems that the standard starters have.

Since it is specifically designed for a Caterham installation it does not require the adaptor plate.

I fitted it to my 1400 Supersport last summer and it has seen very little use (like the rest of the car).

In effect it is as good as new and looks it.

I had every intention of fitting it to the R400 engine, only to discover on Sunday that it won't fit the R400 block without major grinding .. so I have decided to sell it and buy one of the new axial starters (which I hope will fit).

I paid around £250 for it and so would be looking for around £160.

Anyone interested 🤔

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

I've no idea Symo *confused*

My problem is the 1800 (R400) block has a lug on the side, presumably for an engine mount, which is not present on the 1400 block. The solenoid block fouls on this lug, preventing the mounting points on the starter from being able to line up with the engine/bell housing fixing holes (it's only out by 10o).

Brise have manufactured their own adapter plate to fix the starter to the bell housing, which they have bolted to the starter body. I'm going to speak with Tim Brise tomorrow because I think it would fit if it had an adapter plate that had the adapter plate drilled 10o further round.

I may as yet grind the lug off too.

Paul,

As a result of the above statements I may yet fit this starter to my car.

I'll let you know if it is still for sale after the weekend, once I've spoken to Tim Brise again and considered the block grinding option with a clear head (rather than the grumpy head that was throwing spanners last Sunday when I discovered the issue 😳)

Cheers,

Nifty.

Another fly in the ointment ... it may not fit with my R400 4 into 1 exhaust either .. in which case it will definitely be for sale since I can afford to replace the starter more readily than change the exhaust

Hang on there Nifty. Dont dispair!!

A note of optimism. I think that you will find that tere is plenty of room under the primaries. *rolleyes*

The adapter plate sounds like a low cost soultion but if you dont want to spend anything I will come over and grind some of the block away for you whilst you make a cup of tea so that you dont have to watch!!!! *nono*

It can be sorted *thumbup*

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

www.obns.co.uk

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

Thanks for the offer OBNS but if I go that route I'm more than happy to do it myself .. was just in a grump last weekend when I said I wasn't going to do it.

I'll speak to Tim tomorrow and then take it from there.