Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Limited Slip Diff

AndyPandy

In my opinion yes, absolutely, but it depends what you are going to use your car for.

If you intend to use it for track work it will need a LSD I would suggest, however a by-product will be increased understeer, the extra traction creates a push effect I discovered which should be countered with the widetrack.

If you are going to use the car for touring (why?) then it wont be a problem, but you'll always be wondering how much better the car could be. Buy it now, or regret it later!

Nick

If you get a plate type one (over the counter at Caterham parts), then you need it set appropriately for the Seven with correct preload and ramp angles. Phil Stewart (Road and Race Transmissions) does this work and it gets rid of the worst of the understeer.

A torque sensing LSD doesn't have these problems, but isn't so good for mega-power installations.

I think the preload settings are now correct off the shelf...

Phil's a good bloke - give him a call and chat to him about what to do.

He can sort a diff out, properly spec'd for a 7 for about 820GBP incl.

Is it worth the money? If you're using your car on track a lot, I think so.

If it's mainly a road car I'm not so sure. Depending on what you have on the car already, there are other upgrades that are much more worthwhile for a road car (e.g. big brakes).