Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series tuning

fastone

I've seen a few threads on this, visited a few websites, but what option do I go for if I want reasonable power, without removing the head - cam swop is okay though.

Various kits available around the 2000 mark - anyone any specific recommendations.

Followed tuning in CCC - seems good.

Seen QED kit - also seems good - but upgradability of the ECU?

What do I do? I have the latest K-series - it seems plug not compatible with mant ECUs but plugs can be changed.

Any suggestions.

I'm still learning about this, and I'm sure Oily and PC will be along in a minute with all the clever stuff. All I can tell you is what I've learned along the way as I have started upgrading my K.

Firstly all the work you do must be compatible with all the future upgrades you would like to do. For example you will need to change your ECU and the most suitable will be the Emerald, because so many Maps are available for it.

Secondly the head seems to be the limitation, the ports are very conservative, therefore fitting wild cams will not help until the other restrictions are removed.

I assume your car is already a supersport.

Thirdly fitting throttle bodies is a reasonably efficient way to improve performance and remove the big hole in the torque curve. The transformation to my car was incredible and it is noticeably faster.

I have learned that the pistons are the weak spot on the K, so think carefully about making it rev too hard on the standard ones. If you are changing the pistons for forged items, you can fit an 1800 crank as well.

Like I said I'm learning as I go along, but Oily is an excellent (and very patient) teacher, I suggest you speak to him as well.

Over to you then Dave.

Nick

That is a pretty good summary from Pinky. Only thing to add is mention of the exhaust. If you have the standard "4-1 inside the engine bay" exhaust then changing to the competition type is worth *loads*.

As for the wiring, Miraz is doing a conversion at the moment for an EU3 engine where he has reverted to an old-style wiring loom.

Have a search in the archives as there is lots of material.