Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Glowing Catalytic Convertor

BM

Help...

Just short of work this morning my car developed a sudden misfire of biblical proportions, the exhaust sounded like it was holed. When I got out the car is idling fine, temperatures ok, oil pressure fine, but the Catalytic convertor was glowing cherry red. Have left it all to cool down

Any ideas what has gone wrong (only car, so need to sort out).

Yes it does, but used every day for past fortnight, and gone now on fourth tank of fuel. Filled up with Shell normal unleaded twice, once with Sainsbury Super Unleaded and once with BP Superunleaded. None of these as far as I am aware have been effected?

I wouldn't immediately blame the cat for the initial misfire.

If the engine was misfiring badly, then the cat would have had a lot of fuel getting to it, hence the cherry red effect. This may have caused irreparable damage, but as it now starts and sounds OK, you might be lucky.

I'd check the HT and ECU side of things. What engine / ECU (r carbs!) are you using?

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 11000 miles completed!

Fortunately I'd only driven a half mile at most after it happened.

EU3 engine. It has had a very slight misfire recently, very intermitant and not really causing any problem. Had cleaned the electrical contacts on the loom at the weekend using electrical contact cleaner (as this resolved a similar misfire once before). Also had checked all four spark plugs (all ok, greyish with a hint of brown and all about the same colour). Had driven some 10 miles this morning and was behaving perfectly. Had stopped at traffic lights, and temperature hadn't gone high enough to start the fan, so no concerns there. As I went to pull away it literally started misfiring throughout the rev range.

If the cat is getting excessively hot then your air /fuel mixture is wrong (too rich) this will give exhaust gases that are too high in hydrocarbons . I would look at airtemp, ECU water temp sensor and connections or duff fuel pressure regulator. I would not use the car until its sorted or damage will result.

Have had a good check over things this lunchtime. Found that the misfire was on the cylinders nearest the back of the engine (black and sooty).

I did notice that the 4 wires at the connection from the Lambda to the main loom (at the rear of the engine block) was connected, but not held tightly by the black clips (could simply pull it out without pressing the little lever down). I wondered if this had caused it? Also the loom connection to the front coil pack was similarly connected but not held tightly (both were being forced slightly apart by rubber bit that keeps the dirty out).

Any thoughts?