Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery cut off switch

Andrew Dent

I have been investigating why I have been getting a very dead battery. My search has found that with the battery cut off switch out, the battery is pulling 2A. Put the switch back in and give it a turn, and we are looking at 30mA. Can anyone shed some light on the wiring around the switch. Any good ideas of where to look for problems

After more investigation, the low resistance is coming from the load resistor that is connectted to the cut off switch. What does this resistor do in the overall schemem of things, and what should is value be. Currently looking around 9 ohms.

Andrew Dent

Edited by - Andrew Dent on 8 Jul 2000 13:27:22

You may have the resistor connected to the wrong side of the switch. It's purpose it to maintain a load on the alternator if you pull the switch with the engine running so high voltages aren't generated while the engine runs down. If its connected to the wrong side of the switch it will drain the battery instead - I think.

I had this problem on my car. In the end I had to get someone at Caterham to go and check their "official" wiring diagrams... When all the different coloured wires were compared to what I had, it turned out that the leads from the battery and to the starter motor were on the wrong terminals. If you want to call me at home sometime this week (but not tonight) on 01666 832749, I can stick my head in the car and we can compare wiring ?