Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhaust upgrade

spinmaster

Ditched the original (8 years old) 5" Caterham exhaust last May in favour of a 6" Techcraft repackable exhaust, which looks infinitely better (IMHO) than the Caterham one. The reason I changed was to try to get the noise level down for track days. Noise decreased from 110db to 97db.

Never had any problems at MOT.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

I changed my exhaust at the end of last year, or rather John Noble did on my behalf.

He chose Caterham primaries and collector, a specially fabricated connector and a 7" repackable techcraft silencer without a cat.

In conjunction with the TB's he did the net result was a 25 bhp gain and a 3 dBa reduction in noise, which I am very pleased with.

If your car is a pre July 98 car it will not need a cat as it is a visible emission test only.

The only problem I have subsequentally had with this system is it's proximity to the ground. I always grounded the original system at places like paddock hill bend at Brands, but with this system I actually managed it at Goodwood, and that's with 300 lb springs on 13s.

The other problem I believe is that techcraft will not supply direct. However you can buy them through Roger King.

I can mail a picture of mine if you'd like to see what they look like.

Nick

Spinmaster,

I got my techcraft exhaust through Chris Wheeler at the 7 Workshop Hoddesdon 01992-470480

Chris

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

The non Cat exhaust and primaries from Caterham may liberate a couple of extra horsepower, but they do not guarantee its noise.

In my experience it's pretty loud and will certainly exclude you from some track days. Get the techcraft, it's repackable and looks nicer!

Hi

Techcraft will supply direct

Call 01926 410098

The JPE mounting bracket is really neat and strong enough to hold any size silencer as you can stand on it and it won,t move.

If you use the caterham manifold/collector and then take car to somebody you can trust like EBD to modify collector to fit inlet of silencer you can get the best of both worlds.

Dave