Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting speed drive

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

I expected it to be difficult to fit a speedo drive woith the gearbox & engine installed, but hoped it would not be impossible. After a day on my back with a small pair of right angled circlip plyers, I've given up for the day *mad*

Is there any knack that anyone can pass on?

Also, on the speedo cable, is the end for with the brass "stop" meant to go on the speedo end, or the drive end?

Thanks - Michael.

Michael

I had the same problem. I went off and had a cup of tea and went back to it later. It then went in first attempt.

I found using 45 degree circlip pliers a bit easier as you could hold the circlip and still be able to manoeuvre the brass top hat into position.

I assume you have the old one out already?

Steve

• Leadership Team

Thanks Steve - so it is possible *confused*

I have not been aboe to find 45 degree plyers - I may have to look out for some. I managed to get what I through twas the circlip in a total of 3 times today, but it can;t have been right in obviously

The last straw was when a gust of wind picked up the bonnet, flipped it over and put a few good scratches on it. Game over for the day. *mad*

Does anyone know about the cable orientation also?

Thanks - Michael.

I've just run my cable forward from the speedo drive with no severe kinks in it.

As for removing and renewel of the right angle drive, it's sheer persevereance(sp) i've found; sometimes it'll fall into place, other times, it's a combination of Chinese-state-cirsus-style wriggling and contortion and knuckle-skin removing frustration.

Last time, i felt that the circlip was actually mocking me as i sat sobbing on the garage floor *mad*.

Just keep trying, it'll go on eventually *thumbup*.

Pikelet 😬

It has been known for folks to cut a hole in the lower part of the tunnel , so as to access the speedo drive, if your feeling brave you may like to attempt this, a suitable blanking plate could be made from an off cut of ali and either riveted in place or suck with silicone RTV, or similar. Just a thought.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

I took a pair of circlip pliers and bent the hell out of them unti lthey were the shape I needed them to be. After that and lots of patience breaks I succeeded, but I have to confess I laughed a laugh of recognition when I read the post above referring to weeping!

Good luck