Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll-cage and weather gear

james fillingham

Having read various articles about 7 crashes and seen the pictures in Low Flying a roll-cage rather appeals. However, my 7 is mostly a road going toy and hence I need the flexibility of weather gear. Does weather gear exist for standard cages?

Also, what sort of outlay am I looking at for a roll-cage (incl fitting)?

James

I have a roll cage + Hood ect. AFAIA the hood and hoops at the back are standard and fits (with a struggle, don't they all !).

The main problem is that when the hood is tight, the screen frame gets pulled back onto the front hoop of the cage and goes no further. This may be a good thing because I undersand if you pull to hard on the screen frame the screen can crack.

That said when the hood stretches every thing goes back to normal. My car is a 95 1400SS with at roll cage of the same vintage.

Giving Brooklands screens a try, so my problems with a hood may be over !

One of the interesting things about Roger Green's accident, was that he reported his crash helmet being damaged. I presume this was due to the helmet whacking the cage side bars where they passed by his head ? (Perhaps Roger could confirm this ?)

I've seen other discussions, either here or on the se7ens list, where this has been cited as a reason for *not* fitting a roll cage on a predominantly road car, ie one you would not normally wear a helmet in, while not on a track.

But then the obvious retort is that the cage is what helped to keep the passenger area of Roger's car so undamaged...

You pays your money, I suppose smile.gif

Having a cage doesn't mean having to wear a helmet. It's just that there are more tubes in potential close proximity to your head; this means that ensuring that you're in the right position in the (car with respect to the cage) is all that more important.

A roll cage should make your car safer; if it makes it more dangerous then something else is wrong. You won't necessarily be able to drop a cage on in place of a rollover bar with no ther changes; I found that I needed a tall cage and a foam seat to position me properly away from the cage. If possible, try to find a car similar to yours with the same seat you have and the cage you're contemplating to see if you'll fit or if you need some more changes to make it all work together.

Anyone know anything about relative weights. I have been told that the cage (roadsport) is not that much heavier than the FIA bar (due to the tubes being a smaller diameter). If the weight difference isn't that great and it's safer then the cage maybe the better option.