Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

My engine has.....new pump and is running now.

Peter T

After a couple of hectic days and nights (thanks Regin, Mark) i finally got round to firing up my new engine. 😬

All was fine after the coolant issues (thanks redline) coming to my aid, i was ready for my rolling road visit.

Fired up engine and it went well for about 3 minutes at 4000rpm, *cool* until the oil pressure suddenly began to drop!!!!!

At 30psi i swithched it off, as there was smoke coming from the scavenge pump, while running i did hear a slight crack, and this is when the oil pressure started to go down. *evil*

Any way it now transpried that the scavenge pump has lunched itself *nono*

Internal damage due to swarf is not known yet. *thumbdown*

Bummer. *cry*

R500 Mango Madness

Edited by - Peter T on 3 Mar 2007 19:52:57

Edited by - Peter T on 6 Mar 2007 22:13:52

After stripping the scavenge pump it transpires that the front bearing has siezed and overheated which caused the oil lip to melt and partly sieze the pump.

Whilst the bearing siezed it allowed the front pulley to come into contact with the fron casing which also resulted in the pulley being thrown further down the shaft and contacting alloy to alloy.Both rotors are fine but the pump is scrap!!

No metal paticles have been detected in the oil so far, so i have been lucky. *cool*

R500 Mango Madness

A refurbed pump 'Should' be as good as new - any parts beyond tolerance should be replaced and only reuseable parts carried over hence the financial saving. That said the last pump I had refurbed was absolute rubbish. Adjusting the pressure valve made no difference because the reused spring was u.s and the 'professionals' also managed to completely omit to fit the spigot oil seal behind the pulley *mad*

Pete, only just caught up on this - sorry to hear about your troubles - luck seems to have deserted you again ☹️ ☹️. Say the word if you need any help mate.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Surrey AO and Su77on Se7ener

Edited by - Harry Flatters on 4 Mar 2007 22:26:33

I can second Titan refurbishments quality. I sent my 30000mile purple pump for a precautionary rebuild with my new engine. They changed the rotor & seals for £90 & threw in postage for free, returned within the week. The pumps are very expensive, if the wheel and case are OK, Id suggest Titan rebuild it for much less cost than a replacement unit.

New pump fitted and she sounds sweet. *wavey*

It has now been tested for oil and water leaks and nothing to report.

Even though the TPS is not set and the mapping is a little out it really is smooth.

Ready for the rolling road for Steve Greenald to run it in and map it. *cool*

R500 Mango Madness