Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Whimsical Boy racery question

andytommo

Probably but I very much doubt Caterham will sell them! Maybe talk to DT or the wheel manufacturer (which wheels have you got).

Also, they add weight and might well do nasty things to other parts of the car.

What size wheels have you got? 205s fill arches nicely enough. 215s are probably the extreme of what will fit under on std. wheels.

But then if your car has less than about 180bhp you'll be over-tyred and will likely spoil the balance of the car.

You didn't really buy the car for its looks now did you...avoid the temptation...

Andy, I can assure you that there are a great many of us who have 13" wheels and 185s. Don't worry what they look like as I'm sure the rest of us don't.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Andy, I think that the real problem is that the Caterham rear wings are slightly too big for standard 185 tyres, so they do stick out a fair bit and the tyres look lost in them.

The best advice has been given, don't do it - however.......

if you really do want to have a go, consider the following:

you will need longer studs and they are a pig to put in because the hub has to come off to get the old ones out and push the new ones in; by widening the track it puts more leverage on the bearings, so they will require more maintainance; it is quite likely to alter the setup of the car too, probably leading to slightly more understeer, which is not a good thing with the more recent cars, as there is already too much built in.

Having said all that, I have widened the rear track on my 21[same suspension setup], by a small amount, about a quarter of an inch either side, by using spacers and longer studs, in my case so that my nearside tyre could clear a non standard rear exit exhaust system, and I find no difference in the handling, although it has always understeered like a pig, in certain corners on track only, so I probably haven't helped this trait much.

It certainly looks good though!