Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Scrubbing" / de-glazing brakes

danwhiley

Well, the sun's shining, it's a long weekend. Looks like I'll be messing with the car then :)

I've got a funny feeling that I might have glazed the brakes when I went batting round Bentwaters with a car with standard Caterham supplied brake pads (not sure what those are on the Academy 2002 - asked Derek and he just said "the ones for the road"). The question is - how do I "scrub" the pads to get my grip back again? I know people have said to "rub the brakes with some emery cloth", but is this the pads, the disks, both? If the pads, then how do you get them off (this is my first time doing this...)?

Thanks to all the gurus who have got constantly dirty fingernails and know how to do this.

Dan.

I was advised to clean the disc themselves by using fine emery paper/cloth,and strangely enough, parrafin as a cutting agent. Rather messy but certainly seemed to clean up the disc surface a treat. That came from Roy Lane the HillClimb Champion ( Techcraft) so I suppose he knows his stuff!

As for the pads, I would remove them from the caliper( obvious!) and buff them on a flat sheet of emery. That should remove the top surface but I have to say I had a similar problem with a set of softish pads that I over-abused and they never really recovered,even after re-treating as described.

Worth a go but it may be a case of some new pads.....

Anyone else got suggestions?

Andrew

Edited by - andrew russell on 28 Mar 2002 15:25:47

Ah........

That will depend upon which brakes you have.....

I only have experience of 4 pot AP's on my Seven.

If you jack the car up and remove the wheel..all should be fairly obvious from there and it is simply a matter of easing the pistons back slightly from the disc and then removing the pad. There will be some means of retention but usually pretty easy to figure out.

Replacing is simply a reverse action...

When you first press the brake pedal after removing the pads, don't be alarmed if the pedal goes to the floor as the pistons are returned to their original position.

I'm sure others may be able to offer wiser words of wisdom....

Whereabouts are you based?

Andrew