Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 1.4k

Mark P.

I have upgradeitus, and I am considering selling my "baby" to purchase either 1.6k supersport or superlight. Basic spec for my current car is a 1994 (L) 1.4 de dion caterham 7, Anniversary colours (green with yellow strip), prisoner wheels, full weather etc. Lotus Garage built and regular service history. 20,000 miles. Garaged and never used on track day etc.

Can anyone give me a sensible idea of what it could be worth?

My other thought was to spend the money on upgrades such as supersport kit, 6 speed box etc, would this be more sensible.

Thanks

I reckon you're looking at 9.5-10.5k tops depending on condition and any other trick bits you might have put on it.

A 6spd box is going to cost you about 2300 and a second hand supersport kit (if you could get one) would be iro 5-600 I guess (maybe less). Alternatively, cams, ECU and TBs would be iro 1300+VAT plus whatever mapping was required.

A 6spd 1.6 SS will feel a *lot* quicker than your current car, but a Superlight would be the one to go for IMO. More fancy bits on it as std. should leave you a bit longer before upgraditis sets in.

SL's occasionally come up at about 15k. But realistically you're looking at 17k as a starter.

If you got 10k for yours (Caterham would likely offer you 8-10 I would have thought against one of their used models) you'd be looking at finding 7k ish. If we say that the box and SS upgrade are going to set you back 3k, you'd then have the LSD (900 ish with oil and sundries), big brakes (650 fitted I think), the carbon bits (best part of 2k, maybe more as I heard the price went up recently), adjustable platforms (200 or so) and better suited wheels and tyres (probably 240 difference if you sold the Prisoners) and any other bits the used SL might have had attached.

So you're pretty much at the same level but you'd have a much newer SL than your car, which would have a correspondingly higher resale.

And the above costs assume you can fit the bits yourself...

Thanks for your comment ... I think I had probably come to the same conculsion in my heart of hearts. Being technically challenged when it comes to holding a spanner, then i think the better option would be for a superlight.