Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Longcross is Cancelled

Mark Durrant

Today I received the following email from Barry Guess of the Sutton & Cheam Motor Club

'Please be advised that it is with regret that I have to advise you of the cancellation of the 2007 Chieftain and Scorpion Sprints at Longcross following the decision of QinetiQ Management to withdraw the venue from ALL motor sport use.

This decision was confirmed this afternoon at a meeting between myself (as MSA Liaison Officer), Ian Davis (MSA) and the appropriate management at QinetiQ Farnborough.

The withdrawl is also effective immediately for all remaining motor club bookings for rallies (Craven MC / Sutton & Cheam MC / Rally Britannia / Bexley LCC / Oxford MC) and Sprint bookings (London Irish MC).

This situation is subject to an on-going discussion although it should be stressed that QinetiQ have stressed that they are unlikely to reverse their decision. Should there be any favourable development over the next few days then I will advise you accordingly.

I would ask that any queries or communications regarding this matter are directed toward me in the first instance.'

Barry Guess

MSA Liaison Officer

Very disappointing end for a challenging a unique venue....one I am unlikely to forget

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

My guess is this is the first step in a plan to turn the land into a new 'luxury' housing estate....

Don't think so . .. the current boss of Qinetic (who rent the land & don't want to build any houses) has decided not to allow Motorsport. When that boss goes, the next one may be more inclined to allow sprints - it's not as though it's not used for fast cars. It's a test track afterall - McLaren shakedown test all their roadcars there, and I can only assume, will continue to do so.

His death sounds unrelated to where it happened. Sadly heart attacks can happen to anyone, anywhere and at any time. I hope it isn't linked in anyway to the closure decision as that would be no way to remember anyone in the motorsport world.

Will there be an official L7CGB response to the closure? Perhaps a letter to the relevant management expressing disappointment at the decision and hopes that the venue can return to use in the future. I haven't driven there myself but it sounds like it was a great venue and I was looking forward to sprinting there this year.

Project BUMBLEBEE lives on!

I do not think it's redevelopment . . .. there was talk of building a big Supermarket there but I don't think they could get planning as the land has some kind of status that complicated matters. Much of the land along there is common land IIRC. Any major development would need a new motorway junction as beefing up the local roads is, for some reason, not a realistic option. New motorway junctions on the M3 are not cheap.

So, hopefully, Longcross will not disappear from the sprint calendar forever.