Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How to install electrics with Zetec conversion

Phil

I may be about to sell my car to fund a Zetec conversion for my 7.

I am worried about installing the electric's, ecu, etc.

Any advice to install me with some confidence to do the job please?

What other bits will I have to buy on top of the package from Redline?

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Keep hold of the (oil, water-temp and pressure) senders off your old engine. Sourcing new ones or finding adaptors to make new ones fit can be a complete pain.

I'm currently in the process of a Zetec conversion too. ECU was the hardest bit so far (tempts fate); just had to swap a couple of wires over (for the coil pack and the crank sensor).

I've removed a Vauxhall engine though from my car, i believe cross-flow should be a tad easier and the wiring should potentially barely change. But i'm no expert *cool*.

Pikelet 😬

Phil,

Drop Guy Lowe an email.

He's just finished putting a Zetec in his Crossflow powered car so it will all be fresh in his mind.

I think you will find it's a lot easier than you think *idea*

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

The funny thing about this signature is, by the time you realise it says nothing, it's too late to stop reading it.

Hi Phil I fitted a Zetec into a new build from the factory, and I sorted all the wireing including the fuel pump wireing for the fuel injection so the pump wont pump when the engine isn't rotating that was a bit of a brain teaser, *confused* the bl**dy MFRU was a Bu**er to wire up *confused* but you wont have any of that will you, any way if you need any advice Email me Regards Paul

Big ache for me was re-siting the alternator from LHS to RHS. Some kits keep the original location. Another was wiring for the ECU which I chose down Halfords and I got the core size way too big. This gives issues with packaging the wiring into the ECU plug. Actually running the new wiring was easy enough especially with the engine already out (bit of planning required here). You can get heatshrink with adhesive inside which I found makes a tidy job and self amalgamating loom tape makes the rest of the wiring neat too. I tried to mount the ECU under the dash which was a pain - find somewhere else for it. I've seen them in the engine bay which would improve access for wiring and keep it away from your heater hot air if you have a heater that is.

The other thing that people find easy to get wrong is the throttle pot connections (I got it wrong too due to duff info) so be certain of your wiring here or your car runs very strangely and inexplicably so.

Lastly, I sold my old fuel tank and got a fuel injection tank to replace it - cunning? Maybe, if I had only known that I couldn't get a sender to suit my old style gauges anhy longer, I might have kept the old sender too or used a swirl pot (you can see pics of them in Demon Thieves catalogue and they;re not half as gash as they seem as a concept.

Totally unrelated but I also had to change the bolts that attach the inlet manifold to the head for studs. The bolts didn't last long as they failed by fatigue. Replaced them for CVH studs for the same purpose which have a male torx drive head to them and no further problems.

Edited by - millsn on 26 Feb 2007 22:59:56