Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Forged pistons

bobt

If your using a full skirt piston and the bores were correctly machined to give the correct clearance then the forged piston should be no noiseier than a standard piston.

However if you fitted slipper pistons that have very little skirt to guide them up and down the bores then Iwould expect them to be noiseier than a standard piston ecpecially when cold and clearances are at maximum. In short its not being forged that would make them noisy its the piston design

Hi Rob

Depends greatly on bore clearance whether pistons "slap" when cold.

Many motorsport engines (with or without forged pistons) run looser fit and the clearances are taken up at high operating temperatures.

Any particular engine application you are referring to?

There's no such thing as too much bhp per ton !

6SpeedManual

With utmost respect Rob, that is not entirely true, the coefficient of linear expansion of the material used in forged pistons is higher so they run with cold bore clearances which are higher than with normal cast pistons, hence until they are fully warmed up they may well make a little noise. Symetrical piston pins also allow the piston to exhibit slap since the piston is not forced to the normal thrust side when on light throttle or idleas it would be with an asymetric pins such as used on production cast pistons.

Oily

My Omega forged pistons in my self build 1800 'K' have been like this from new. It worried me too originally as it sounded like a bag of old nails 'till it warmed up a bit. *eek*

My mind was put at ease though when I happened to be at Caterham HQ when the very last of the JPE's was being handed over. This was the special one that had the reputed 30k spent on the engine alone at Swindons etc and had the registration mark '600' IIRC.

The champagne flowed and then the car was started and sounded................. just like a bag of old nails 'till it warmed up!!!!!! *cool*