Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Type 9 gearbox jams in 4th...

rgrigsby

The standard 5 speed box in my Caterham has started jamming in 4th gear, it's happend 3-4 times now and seems to be getting worse. 3rd and 4th are also getting increasingly "crunchy". The cars been used fairly heavily on track over the last 2-3 years and is running a circa 155bhp Crossflow.

Quick phone call to Chris at the Sevens workshop suggests that the 4th gear "speed hub" is broken. Not knowing anything about gearboxes this all sounds highly feasible to me.

Just wondering what my options are, Chris said either a straight swap for a standard type 9 or going for an uprated one. How does this sound? any other suggestions/comments?

Either way looks like I'm facing a big bill sad.gif (being a complete non-mechanic Chris will be doing all the work!!!)

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Rob,

Send it to Road Race Transmissions - you have probably just broken a synchro hub, which is a Ford part, and you'll even manage this if you use the Quaife Heavy Duty box. A dog box would eliminate the problem, but that is a pricy upgrade.

Chris Clark has a std 5 spd for sale for which he's holding out for £285. I purchased a std 5 spd for £120 a month ago so go poke a more sensible offer at Chris.

His box will undoubtably have been driven gently as its only been on the end of a 1.4K!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie,

Ahh that sounds better, just need to work out how to get it out of the car now!! time to "phone a friend" I think.

Don't suppose you have a number for Road Race Transmissions to hand? I'm meant to be going to Imola in May so need to work out whether to refurb my existing one or just drop in a new one.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com