Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon care

Buda

I'm having carbon stone guards fitted on thursday next week, this is due to corrosion on the chrome ones the car came with, I assume the corrosion is due to electrolysis where the ali rivits meet the chrome plated bean can metal. If thats the case then my basic chemistry knowledge suggests this won't happen again, whats the best way to protect/maintain the carbon?, whilst they (the garage) are at it they're replacing my rusty headlights, I'm going to coat the inside with waxoil, any other suggestions.

I used to suffer all the usual corrosion problems etc. even with car in dry garage. I know It's been said before but the purchase of a de-humidifier really got rid of most of this problem. It would thoroughly dry car overnight if it came home wet and the amount of rusting bits and pieces I had suffered just dissapeared. I bought an air-chamber(cheap at Autosport) for new 7 which I'm told will do job even better. I really believe that the investment in anti-damp gizmo's saves you fortune over the years.

Cheers,

Kenny

PS I'm from Liverpool too....live just outside now, where are you based?

All that care ... last Sunday, while dropping my car of to have it checked, I noticed the LHD R500 he was preparing. The complete nosecone was sanded down to get the shine off! The owner wants to do the other bits as well to get a "meaner" look and I have to say it actually work out quite good (Ali body)!

The guy is picking up his car this weekend and plans to drive it all the way to Gibraltar ... lucky bastard!

Buda,

Sorry about missing your post, I went out straight after posting mine. I keep threatening to go to a meet....as soon as new car arrives I'll be there. I used to live in Garswood...moved to upholland now.....catch you later.

Kenny