Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sealant for dry sump pan fitting?

Englishmaninwales

Malcolm,

The best stuff to use is the black RTV sealant that Ford use for the front timing cover on the Duratec engined mondeo 2003 onwards. Once cured it is unaffected by oil contact and will not break away inside your engine.

Anaerobic selant will not be suitable as the mating faces do not mate close enough.

If you really don`t want to use a RTV sealant then you could always use a cut down wet sump gasket, I have done this several times.

Rob

or Loctite 598 available from from Halfords. I think its the same as the black Ford sealant that Rob describes and is the same as the Vauxhall stuff. It stays soft and is impervious to oil, water etc, doesn't break off in lumps and threaten you oil ways and is easy to clean off when you have to take it apart again.

• Leadership Team

I've used Loctite 574 with no issues, but it may simply depend upon the individual installation?

I did once upon a time use Hylomar on a wet sump pan - next time the sump was off it took me ages to pick errant bits of the stuff out of the pick-up gauze *eek* A lack of knowedge can be cheap, the results are often not!

Stu.