Click here if you are having website access problems ×

EU3 - Air Temperature Sensor?

Miraz

Does anyone know where the air temperature sensor is fitted on an EU3 K?

Earlier engines seem to have it fitted into the intake manifold adjacent to the No 4 cylinder - however the EU3 appears to just have a blanking plug.

Miraz

This is a bit of an unusual one, I think early EU3 engines (in the first MGF Trophies) have two sensors, the old green one in the runner and a new sensor incorporated in the map sensor which is stuck on the top of the plenum, now called the TMAP sensor. It appears that they are now happy with the new sensor and have deleted the old runner mounted one. If you undo the two screws and pull out the sensor from the plenum you will see the thermocouple bead inside. For info the temp signal is the yellow/white striped wire.

They appear to have the same characteristics, I changed mine from the runner connection to the TMAP as the TMAP may read slightly cooler due to less upheat along the inlet runners. So even though the temperature may be the same the ECU thinks it is cooler and puts a little more spark in. Probably makes no odds really.

Bob

Thanks - this is most useful, and explains why I couldn't find the damn thing.

I suspect that I will add one the old green sensors into the number 4 runner so that I can avoid changes to the wiring loom when converting to throttle bodies.

Miraz

I've found that some throttle bodies (well the PTP ones anyway) have the green sensor in runner 4. Unfortunately the sensor screws into the metal and not into a black palstic bush as on std EU2 engines, therefore you end up measuring the temperature of the hot metal runner (~80°C) rather than the air. It may be better to bolt it into the air filter back plate.

BC