Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Keyles ignition?

wg_mulholland

Ignition is a on/ off toggle switch on the dashboard Starting is with a big red button. (black in my case !)

Security is take away steering wheel, big red key in the side !

I did have a ignition mobiliser (Thatcham 2 standard) but it only lasted a year, but worked well while was installed. (cut ignition & petrol pump.

Most pundits are foxed because they are looking for a keyhole for the ignition doesn't occur to them that it is abasic as a toggle switch. (I hope !)

Edited by - tony isherwood on 27 Mar 2002 10:17:11

I've removed the key barrel and installed a rather fancy covered toggle switch next to a starter button. Security is by way of the immobiliser. Anyone who thinks that the standard key barrel constitutes "security" is misguided.

On top of the immob, I've a removeable steering wheel and battery master key.

I've got piccies of the be-buttoned dash is interested. Mail me direct.

Always wondered at the wisdom of people putting the starter button to the left of the steering wheel. The point being that if you spin off and stall, you want to use your left hand to select the correct gear while your right hand punches the starter....

V7,

My starter button is to left of my steering wheel, mainly because the oil/ water temp toggle is directly above the gear lever.

I've not found it a problem though as I have unfeasibly large hands, which can have it's benefits......................smile.gif

Nick

My starter's on the left (I'm hardly likely to want to save that tenth of a second on track days) and I have an aircraft style toggle switch for ignition. In the event of something nasty happening, hitting the red cover kills the ignition.

V7's spot on with the key barrel comment. And it weighs a fair amount.

Security is handled by (1) Immobiliser (2) Removable wheel (3) Your average oik not having a clue on the sequence to start it!

I love starting the car like this, as does anyone who's been in the car. Much more a sense of occasion than the stupid key, and less chance of me impaling my knee on the petrol filler cap key that dangled from the ign barrel.

I'd edit your reply Anthony as it's asking for trouble (I would have demonstrated had it been later) smile.gif

Oh, and has anyone else zinged the starter gear when trying to turn the engine off? The damn key barrel is designed for a Mini and for the use on the right hand side of the column where you turn the key away from you. In the left hand side installation in the Caterham you end up turning the damn thing towards you... if you remember. It just feels wrong to turn the key away from you to turn off the engine... hence my regularly (OK, 3 or 4 times) zzzziiinnggeeddd ring gear.

Mine is by way of:

Removable Momo

Thatcham 2 immobiliser

Keyed ignition

Button Start

The clever bit is that when the ignition is switched on it energises the starter button circuit for only 15 seconds. Stops passenger oiks grenading my ring gear by hitting the starter button when the engine is running.

No good for racing as you have to reset the ignition to re-energise the starter, but OK for everywhere else.

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Had a Laguna hire car in france recently and it had a credit card in the dash as a key of sorts, and a push button start / stop button. A little bit weird but given the general patheticness of a steering lock, not a bad idea.

N